Ordered Oud Bruin Ingredients from NB, Changed my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheektronic

Reaction score
I decided that after I had already ordered this ingredient kit (with the Roeselare yeast blend) from Northern Brewer that I don't feel like waiting for a sour beer and I'd rather use the existing ingredients, swap the yeast blend at my LHBS for another strain (probably Wyeast 3522 Ardennes), and add additional base grain to up the gravity. Here's what I'll be receiving:

6.75lbs Pilsner Malt
.75lbs Cara 45
.75lbs C120
.5lbs Flaked Corn
.125lbs Carafa III

I'm not particularly familiar with the typical grain bill for Belgian styles, so I was looking for some help on what I could add to the existing grains. I welcome your suggestions.

You have a couple options,

You could keep the grain bill as is and ferment with Chico strain or an english strain and do a brown ale. Hop it up a bit for an american brown or just bitter and get an english brown. Won't be dead to style for english brown as you have pilsner malt, but it will be might tasty.

Also turn it into a belgian pale ale or dubbel. For a pale ale, I would ferment as is with Ardennes or for a dubbel sub in some Special B and Candi Sugar (remove corn) and use a good belgian strain.

You have a couple options,

You could keep the grain bill as is and ferment with Chico strain or an english strain and do a brown ale. Hop it up a bit for an american brown or just bitter and get an english brown. Won't be dead to style for english brown as you have pilsner malt, but it will be might tasty.

Also turn it into a belgian pale ale or dubbel. For a pale ale, I would ferment as is with Ardennes or for a dubbel sub in some Special B and Candi Sugar (remove corn) and use a good belgian strain.

Was leaning towards the BPA route. Only thing is the Carafa will probably mess with the coloring. But heck, if it tastes good, I don't really care.

Latest posts

Back