Ordered my first rhizomes today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaddyb

Reaction score
Wish me luck, i live in a rural town, i have a two acre yard, and a spot with plenty of southern exposure. Being that weve had weather in the 80s already in minnesota, Ill be planting these as soon as they arrive.

Good luck! What varieties and quantities did you get? With our freakish weather this spring, its time to get them in the ground. If it does get cold again before planting, you can always keep them in the fridge with a wet paper towel. I swapped out fresh paper towels every 5-7 days this way for almost 2 months last year until it was time to plant. They did just fine.

I planted a Cascade, Hallertau, and Williamette last spring and got some pretty good growth and some hops to boot. Can't wait to head north to our vacation property and see if they're popping up through the leaves yet. Very mild winter, so the hops and new apple trees should be doing great.

Get your trellis system in-process now. You dont want to be working over hills that are sprouting anything. Get it all set with lots of down lines and a way to raise and lower each if you can swing the few extra bucks. I used recycled PVC in the classic childs swingset configuration and it should do great. My initial height is 10 feet, but if I need more height it is only 4 couplers and more pipe away. I generally do not glue my fittings so I can reuse them on different projects if the need arises. I used 4 short pieces of rebar driven in the ground to place the legs over so there is no creep or pulling when the bines apply weight to the system. If I can get outside when I am feeling a little more well I will take a pic or two and post it up for every ones approval/dsiapproval and comments. I am also a first year hopper, but a many year natural and hydroponic gardener. So this should not present too much of a challenge. Make sure you seperate your rhizomes as far apart as you can afford. Hop rhizomes are in the family of plants that spread by extending their rhizomes beneath the soil. They will run, so I tried to plan ahead so they will be managable into the future, since they return every year. Hope this helps from one noob hoppper to another.

"Bob, struggling with Phosphor this week"

Sounds like a cool trellis system.

We added ours to a lake property, so I wanted it looking as natural as possible. I couldn't come up with anything initially, but eventually had an idea. Simple eye hook up in an Oak tree with sparse branches. It's around 25 feet up the tree. I then strung camo nylon rope (3, one for each bine) in a tent pattern. Each hop rhizo is separated by about 10 feet on the ground. Made sure to have 50 feet of rope to raise and lower it easily for hop harvesting and bine removal in the fall. Worked pretty good the first year, but they grew to ~ 15 feet or so only. My only concern is the hobs get tangled at the top when they start taking over.

I ordered cascade, chinook, magnum, mt hood, nugget, and willamette. One of each. I'm gonna put a trellis system in this weekend so its in before I even plant.

So after getting home and evaluating the spot I had picked, I realized I have two trees roughly 30 ft apart that I can incorporate into my trellis system. I wanna go in a straight line from one tree to the other, how much space should there be between each plant?

Back