Ordered Brewers 2 Row instead of Pale Malt 2 Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
My recipe calls for 10lbs of Pale Malt 2 row but I accidentally ordered Brewers 2 row from AHS.

Tried calling but it's already been shipped. I'm not overly concerned about it as I understand they are fairly similar grains. My question is, should I adjust my mash time and temps to compensate for the different grain or just go with what the original recipe calls for?

Here is my grainbill: (2 hearted clone)

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %

*mash at 150 F

The brewers malt will give you slightly less malt flavor contribution and has a lovibond of 1.8.
The pale ale malt has a lovibond of 3.5.
I wouldn't change anything.
Bull

The brewers malt will give you slightly less malt flavor contribution and has a lovibond of 1.8.
The pale ale malt has a lovibond of 3.5.
I wouldn't change anything.
Bull

Cool thanks. I have a local shop that I can get to as well. Is there anything that I can add to compensate for the loss of malt? 1/2 lbs of this.....1/2 lb of that? Just curious. Now that I have the wrong grains I may as well experiment a bit. BTW this is a 2 hearted clone from the recipes page. My hop schedule consist of 5oz of Centennial hops.

You may want to bump the Vienna a bit or raise the mash temp a degree or so, but I think you're worrying over nothing.

Don't add anything. The 2-hearted clone recipes I've seen (and done) were very simple grain bills, almost exclusively pale 2-row and a dash of light crystal. The Vienna in your recipe will provide plenty of malt flavor. 2-hearted is all about the Centennials, and you should only have enough malt character to provide a very subtle background for the hops. :mug:

Eh, I buy plain old Briess 2 row by the 50 lb bag. That's what I always use for base malt in my APA/IPA.

Cool - I'll just go with what I've got. I did an extract version of this a few months ago and it turned out awesome. Since then, I've moved to AG and wanted to see if I could tell the difference between the two. None-the-less, I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

I just brewed the same 2 Hearted recipe a few weeks ago and I also used Briess 2 Row Brewers malt as my base malt (got it from Brewmasters warehouse) and the beer turned out fantastic - don't change anything. As noted above this beer is all about the Centennial hops - you don't need a huge malt presence in it. I'm planning to use this grain bill as my base for all future American IPA's that I make.

I just brewed the same 2 Hearted recipe a few weeks ago and I also used Briess 2 Row Brewers malt as my base malt (got it from Brewmasters warehouse) and the beer turned out fantastic - don't change anything. As noted above this beer is all about the Centennial hops - you don't need a huge malt presence in it. I'm planning to use this grain bill as my base for all future American IPA's that I make.

Nice. I loved that recipe (extract) version I did. Cant wait for the AG version. I do plan on adding another .5 to the dry hop though. Other than that, I'l leave it as is.

Did you do AG? Mash at 150 for 60 minutes?

:off:

Nice. I loved that recipe (extract) version I did. Cant wait for the AG version. I do plan on adding another .5 to the dry hop though. Other than that, I'l leave it as is.

Did you do AG? Mash at 150 for 60 minutes?

:off:

Ok, I admit I made a couple small changes to the original recipe since I can't help but mess with stuff. I used .75lb Crystal 40 instead of .5lb Crystal 20, but that was because I thought 2 Hearted had a bit more color than you'd get from the 20. I used WLP001 for the yeast and also went with 1oz dry hop. But since the hops are what really flavor this beer it will turn out good no matter how many small tweaks you make. I did AG and mashed around 150 -151 for 60. My OG was 1.060 and FG was 1.015. I cooled wort to mid 60s, hit it with O2 for 60 seconds, fermented with WLP001 (1500ml stir plate starter) at 66 for 5 days, added dry hops (in primary) and let it sit for another week and then kegged.
The Briess brewers malt worked great as the base malt - the body and mouthfeel was near identical to Bell's, so don't sweat that part of it.

The clones for 2-hearted are so damn simple (and delicious!) it's hard not to use them as a "jumping off" point for crafting your own American IPA recipe. I think I've done 8 or more variations over the years, and all the best were still pretty simple and close to the original. I too lean toward C40 over C20. I've done a few with a dash of wheat (head retention) or a dash of Munich (touch of malt flavor) but my faves were just 90-95% pale 2-row and 5-10% C40. That's it! Also, I really like US-05 for this style. :mug:

Back