Orange Wine Must in My Solera

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
Greetings,

A few months ago, I made this recipe from good ol' Jack Keller:

4 lb. blackberries (I used cherries, raspberries too)
2-1/4 lb. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
7 pts. water
wine yeast and nutrient

Wash berries thoroughly in colander, then crush in bowl, trasnfer to primary fermentation vessel, and pour 7 pts. boiling water over must. Allow to seep for two days, then strain through nylon sieve onto the sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar, add pectic enzyme, cover well, and set aside for 24 hours. Add yeast and nutrient, cover, and set aside 5-6 days, stirring daily. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel of dark glass (or wrap clear glass with brown paper), adding water bring to shoulder, and fit airlock. Place in cool (60-65 degrees F.) dark place for three months. Rack, allow another two months to finish, then rack again and bottle in dark glass. Allow 6 months to age, a year to mature. [Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's 130 New Winemaking Recipes]

It all went very well and I fermented with Red Wine Montrachet.

I racked this to secondary and on this cake; this recipe:

4 lbs. over-ripe oranges
1 lb 14 oz granulated sugar
water to make up a gallon
1/4 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
wine yeast

Use over-ripe oranges only. You can usually get these from your grocer at reduced prices (or even free). If they have bad spots on them (moldy or soft) it will not matter. Put two quarts of water on to boil. Meanwhile, peel the oranges and remove all the white pith (it is bitter and will ruin the wine). Break the oranges into sections and remove all seeds. Drop them in a juicer or a blender and liquefy (you may have to add a cup of water to the blender). Mix the juice or liquefied oranges with the sugar, tannin and yeast nutrient in primary. Add boiling water and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Add additional water if necessary to make one gallon total must. Cover and set aside to cool. When cooled to 70-75 degrees F., add yeast. Ferment 7-10 days and strain through a fine-meshed nylon straining bag, squeezing to extract juice from pulp. Transfer to secondary and fit airlock. Rack every 30 days for three months. Stabilize and sweeten to taste. Wait 10 days and rack into bottles. Age one year before tasting. [Adapted from Mrs. Gennery-Taylor's "Easy to Make Wine"]

OG was 1.110 for a 4 gallon-ish batch. It fermented quickly but stop abruptly with a reading of 1.050. I checked this for three days straight with no change. Next I moved it atop a heating pad to warm it up from 66F to 78-85F. After a week, no change in Gravity. Next, I racked it off the old cake and pitched Champagne yeast; in my experience that stuff will chew through a boot! After three days NOTHING!

What could be happening here wine folks? PH issues?

*Onward and forward*

I got the bright idea to mix this in with one of my Solera that I have had going for about 3.5 years. So there it sits in my basement, mixed in with all my buggies. I plan to update this thread to display the evolution of this sour concoction. Anyone ever done something similar? Half fermented must and sour beer combined?

Let's discuss!

Update: The fermenter shows no signs of fermentation however, it is beginning to form a nice pelicle. The pelicle is white and stringy which I have seen similar pictures but I have not seen it in my solera so far... I'll try to post pics of this soon. My thought is that if it tastes badly I will blend to make a Geuze.

Back