Orange up a Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybo0ts

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. Just bottled my first brew, the Continental Pilsner from Festa Brew. I'm sticking with the Festa for a few more brews until I get a handle on everything (so much to learn! :) )

For my next one, I wanted to take the Festa Brew Wheat pre-made wort and add some orange flavoring (preferably blood orange).

Does anyone have any advice of how to do it? I've read about putting sliced oranges in the secondary, then some people make their own orange concentrate from orange zest and juice and add it.

Hi Guys,

... then some people make their own orange concentrate from orange zest and juice and add it.

It must be wrong, but it's what I did, seems to work. Everclear & water (@ ~ 140 proof) to be sure everything is killed and bitter orange peels, same for coriander (crushed). Filtered and stored for the future.
Tested with previous batch (Brewhouse wheat kit) for how much I want to add, ready to bottle now. :)

(see my link in signature)

My advice is to make an "orange tea," which is explained more in the recipe i posted, but briefly you put orange halves and zest in 170deg water and steep them for a period of time and add the entire contents to the fermenter, zest, orange halves, and water.

rich

Back