Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenix26

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I've been wanting to experiment with an orange flavor. I've heard I can use a vegetable peeler and peel an orange an add to the beer. I'd like to try this, but there are some other attributes I'd like to get.

First, I'd like to get the freshest possible taste that I can from an orange. Is this done with the method I mentioned above, or is there a better method?

Second, in order to get the freshest taste possible, at what point in the whole brew exercise do I use my additive?

I was planning on either doing it to an American or Belgian ale, or does someone have a better recommendation for an orange taste? (perhaps a stout?)

Thanks!!!!

I tried orange in a stout years and years ago. Was not a big fan. Yes you can peel an orange like you suggested. Try and stay away from the white pith as it can get kind of bitter. You can drop it in anywhere you want in the process to play with it. At the end of the boil... I have done this with a several Belgian beers with good results. You can dry peel with it. I did this with grapefruit IPA a few years ago and really liked it. I soaked the peels in Vodka for a few hours then tossed em in my keg. So skies the limit really. The only limitation is your imagination..

Cheers
Jay

An easier way is to use a tangerine, and use the whole peel instead of just the zest (you don't have to avoid the pith like with an orange)

I think it goes in near the end of the boil, but I haven't tried it yet. As much as anything I'm posting to subscribe to the thread and see what others say.

Now that you mention orange essence and Belgian ale, I've got something you might like.

I did a couple things this evening with two small Cuties (clementines) added to my Belgian ale. I used the fresh peel in the boil for about 15 minutes along with coriander. After I cooled the wort, I sampled one clementine for sweetness, then crushed and added the slices into the wort. It adds some fructose, potassium content, and a bit of citric acid.
After racking to carboy, the orange rinds were a pain. They got somewhat soggy and tended to clog my racking cane, but no big deal.

For a Belgian wit, the normal recipe is dried curacao. I like to experiment and be different, so I decided to end up with a Belgian specialty ale instead.

Interesting comments guys, thanks a lot.

I was hoping to get some insight on some *freshness* of the taste though.

Here's where my brain is right now (discounting the 6 beers I had at the arcade bar tonight, plus a 22oz imperial stout homebrew), I want to create something new.

In order to do this I heard some about adding the orange peel late, real late(last days of fermentation) and adding a bunch to it to generate fresh orange aroma which will create a taste affect, but put in enough orange peel that the taste isn't just imaginary, it actually exists.
So, maybe it's like a cold crash of orange?

Anyways, trying to move forward, I would think if I added the peel to the fermentation, it will, as I noted, add the aroma distinction. If I add it to the boil it would add more of an orange bitter taste. The orange bitter will no doubt leave an orange base to the flavor of the beer, but what I'm hoping for is more of a finalized flavor of the beer taste, but the key here is I want the orange to taste fresh, like you're biting into a ripe orange from a grocery.

Hope this makes sense..

Thanks!!!

And taste like a good ale should, not a commercial lager like Blue Moon with an orange!
:)

I've added a whole orange and grapefruit to the boil with good results.
For what you are wanting however, i suggest `overdoing it`
add orange EVERY step of the way...in the mash, in the boil, late additions included.
Dry hop with orange, double dry hop with it.
Cover ALL the bases and you will get what you desire.
You might not know EXACTLY which step did the most good towards achieving it but, as long as you achieve it, do you really care which step did it?

I have been adding orange peel (watch out for the pith) to my wheat beers and IPAs pretty much since day one 2 years ago when I started brewing. Couldn't make an IPA or a wheat beer without it.

I add 90% of the peel from one medium sized orange (I have used grapefruit too) at fame out. Works great and will give you a bit of an orange kick.

I've added a whole orange and grapefruit to the boil with good results.
For what you are wanting however, i suggest `overdoing it`
add orange EVERY step of the way...in the mash, in the boil, late additions included.
Dry hop with orange, double dry hop with it.
Cover ALL the bases and you will get what you desire.
You might not know EXACTLY which step did the most good towards achieving it but, as long as you achieve it, do you really care which step did it?

I'm going to disagree with some of that, if you mash or boil orange peel you are going to kill the "orange" flavour and get bitter flavour, it wont be good... if you dry hop with it you might open yourself up to infection. If you do dry hop buy the store bought dried peel and soak it in vodka first before hand.

If you want to overdo it add 3-4 oranges worth of peel at flame out. Using a good quality wheat beer yeast and a bit of coriander can also add to the orange flavour. Just my 2 cents.

I am following you looking for the "fresh" taste. Adding zest to a boiling liquid seems to take the fresh taste out leaving me with a cooked taste. To resolve that, I make tinctures by soaking the zest in vodka (neutral) so the tincture seems fresh and vibrant. I strain solids out and add liquid to my keg before carbing or bottling bucket direct. However, using zest in the secondary is a proven approach.....its just that the alcohol in the vodka (tincture method) pulls the fresh flavor out of the orange so nicely.

Try using a vegetable peeler with very light pressure to avoid any white pith.

The "cooked" approach is best with dried bitter or sweet orange peel that may be added near flameout. You'll be more Blue Moon with that approach.

I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O2DFBO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 . Its an alternative if you cant find oranges for what ever reason. I was just being lazy and didnt realize I got a small amount of it instead of the cheaper bulk deal they had. Oh well this was a good way to try it.

I used this in the holiday ale which turned out amazingly well.

This was where you make a tea with the beer. boil for only a minute with the spice addition, let steep for 15min add to bottling bucket / keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many roads lead to the same destination.
All methods work to some extent (i've boiled oranges with good results)
If ALL methods are used, at least ONE OF THEM will give the desired effect.
If a brewer wants to pinpoint which method is most efficient then more power to them, but what works best FOR THEM might not be the same as for anyone else.
Also, there is no more infection risk with dry hopping with orange peel than there is with dry hopping with hops.

I've zested clementines or added the peeled rind bits to the boil and also put crushed sections into my primary to ferment in mead and wort.
The latest brew is a Belgian ale bubbling away in the carboy. The WLP400 starter got off to a slow start but a couple swirls to agitate the yeast has a good krausen going. My next project will be a Trappist single Abbaye ale made with Cascade, Saaz, and a few spices - clementine peel being one of them.

'Tis the season for Halo and Cutie batches. Get 'em while you can!

Back