Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so I do not have a LHBS and I was unable to find any dried sweet orange peel on the site I use to buy ingredients.

So my questions to you all is: What kind of oranges do you/would you use to replace the dried sweet peel and how do you generally "zest" them? Do you buy specifically a zesting kitchen tool or just a grater? I know specifically for the sweet peel I should make sure to keep out of the pith.

Thanks

Jay

Did you also try grocery store in the spice section? That's where I found mine. Sorry, haven't zested an actual orange yet.

I've used both cara cara oranges and navel oranges from the grocery store. Both with pretty good success. The cara cara was definitely more sweet orange on the nose.

To grate them I use a microplane grater. Same one I use for cooking. You have tho be careful not to get into the white pith. For my grater that was just one or two strokes in a spot.

I've added it both at the end of boil and as a tincture at bottling. The tincture seemed to keep the orange more in the nose/smell that actual flavor of the beer, if that makes sense.

I've used both cara cara oranges and navel oranges from the grocery store. Both with pretty good success. The cara cara was definitely more sweet orange on the nose.

To grate them I use a microplane grater. Same one I use for cooking. You have tho be careful not to get into the white pith. For my grater that was just one or two strokes in a spot.

I've added it both at the end of boil and as a tincture at bottling. The tincture seemed to keep the orange more in the nose/smell that actual flavor of the beer, if that makes sense.

I think I have a grater that is small enough. Not sure what cara cara oranges are. First time I have heard of them. At least navel will work if need be.

Thanks

I use my vegetable peeler. Very light pressure so you just take off the orange layer leaving the white pith behind. Works well with limes too.

TurnipGreen has an interesting point regarding making tinctures. Its worth an experiment. Add zest at the end of your boil...that's traditional as in making a Belgian Witbier. As an optional test, try making a tincture by adding zest from an orange with a couple of ounces of vodka (neutral) and let marinate a few days. Strain and add tincture when kegging or bottling. Or heck...try both and enjoy!!

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO that is exactly the same product as the link I posted, just in a 1 oz rather than a 1 pound size. I have used the exact product you linked to many times in Blue Moon clones and it works great but I got tired of paying around $5 an ounce (which is equivalent to $90 a pound) and using a couple ounces in a 10 gallon batch so I switched to the 1 pound size.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO that is exactly the same product as the link I posted, just in a 1 oz rather than a 1 pound size. I have used the exact product you linked to many times in Blue Moon clones and it works great but I got tired of paying around $5 an ounce (which is equivalent to $90 a pound) and using a couple ounces in a 10 gallon batch so I switched to the 1 pound size.

Excellent tip! Think I'll buy a lb and vac seal smaller portions to freeze.

Only question.....on the Frontier picture (Amazon 1 lb), the peel looks to be quite fine in comparison to the Brewer's Best (1 oz) grind that is more common on LHBS shelves. Any problem there?

When Halo mandarins and Cuties go on sale by the box, it's buy time.
One of the kids favors himself as the alter ego of Iron Chef Bobby Flay, so I avail myself of his things when he's not looking. One of his favorite tools is a mini-grater that looks like a rasp file.
Works great on small soft clementines and zesting gives a very fine result.

oh son of a *****. didnt realize it was only 1oz haha. Oh well. Ill definitely get the bigger bag next time.

Back