Orange marmalade mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcc75

Reaction score
Ok wild idea here. I have some really tasty orange marmalade, a small amount of orange blossom honey, some clover honey, and yeast, and water of course. I wanna make an orange marmalade mead, has anybody ever done this or anything like it? Does anybody have any pointers?

Sent from my LG-P870 using Home Brew mobile app

Here is a link to a strawberry jam mead I did that got some great reviews. It would be the same as your marmalade I would think.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/strawberry-jelly-mead-402398/

So a 1 gallon recipe may be like:

2lb honey
1lb marmalade
1tsp black tea or any tea blend of choice
4 tsp pectic enzyme
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to one gallon
Yeast (lalvin 71b)

Mix the marmalade 1 to 1 ratio with water and add two of the four tsp of pectic enzyme. Let that sit two days then mix up must and add the remaining pectic enzyme into that. Rehydrate yeast and pitch.

Oh you could go like a JAOM with it.

1 gallon

1lb marmalade
2lb honey
25 raisins
Pinch of ginger
Pinch of allspice
2 whole clove
1 cinnamon stick
4 tsp of pectic enzyme
Yeast (fleischmann bread yeast)

Use the pectic enzyme like the above bit basically thrown together and forgotten for 3-4 months the racked every 30 days till no sediment drops. This may work too. The important thing is the pectic enzyme to break down the set pectins.

Cool thanks for the replies. I really didn't know where to go with this. Also I didn't even think about the pectins, so big thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Sent from my LG-P870 using Home Brew mobile app

I've made an orange marmalade mead with orange blossom honey that is to die for. Basically just dilluted the marmalade into the water before adding the honey. 71B as the yeast with a 1.040 FG

Was brilliantly clear in under two months as well.

Back