orange hard cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hum... Cook Island orange "beer" ;-) is only fermented for a few days before serving. Maybe short fermentation times are appropriate? I've also gotten some hints that bananas are used, and googling them, I see bananas are considered alkaline (once the sugar is burned off), and used to balance out acids. Just guessing here.

Outside - Aretou was also the Tumunu I attended.

--SiletzSpey

Yeah, i recall a very short fermentation time in their description of the process. I have 6 gallons bubbling away now, it's taking quite a bit longer (2 weeks so far), i'll let you know if it matches my memory. My recipe is similar to ones in the link you posted, i'm making it just like Ed Wort's apfelwein (with the obvious substitutions of course). Also added a dash of peptic enzyme as i read that orange juice is 3x higher in peptin than apple juice, and apple juice is already on the high end of normally fermented ingredients.

Either way i'll post my results in a couple of weeks.

Kegged the orange cider today, and it's a bit... weird. Finished at .995, really dry. Because of the lack of residual sugars the orange tartness really comes through. The smell isn't bad, but it's not good either. We'll see how it is at drinking temperature plus some carbing, i'll report back in a couple of weeks.

If anyone has any ideas for the next round please chime in. I'm thinking about adding the bananas like SiletzSpey said.

Wow Oberon, this is one old thread back from the dead, the OP is from 2012. Interesting though, I was at a commercial orchard the other day where they grow all kinds of citrus, the oranges, tangerines and lemons had been harvested, but there were alot of fruit on the ground. so I picked up the best stuff including some giant pink grapefruit that were so sweet it was like honey. I juiced a bunch and loosely followed a jack keller recipe. Interestingly it called for peels too, but the skin an the fruit off the ground was dried out and tough, I ended up grating some like zest but not nearly as much as the recipe called for.

Yeah, I know... I was actually doing a Bing search for orange cider and the link popped up. Given the high OG of my little project, I'm pretty certain I'll have to call it Apple Wine. Hopefully the orange flavor will come through reasonably well.

Back