Orange flavored cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab33842

Reaction score
Has anyone had success flavoring a cider with orange? Looking for results from orange concentrate vs. orange juice vs. orange zest vs. commercial orange flavoring...?

Orange juice and orange concentrate are not good ideas. Zest could work out well. But basically most citrus fruits, especially oranges, get a really stale and unpleasant taste when fermented (hence why "orange wine" doesn't exist). Orange zest, on the other hand, can give a very fresh and pleasant orange flavor. I've personally never tried this with cider as I personally don't think apples and oranges mix that well, but if you do try it, I think zest would be the best approach.

I used the zest & juice of one orange in one gallon of mead & the orange flavor came through nicely. don't know if it would be the same for cider...

Zest or extract. To use the zest, soak in a couple ounces of vodka for at least half a day, then add just the flavored vodka. Commercial orange extract is basically the same exact thing.

Can you get bitter ("Seville") oranges? I've used the zest and juice in ferments with great success, it's like the flavour of orange crossed with the acid of lemon. They're hard to find though, usually only come in season once a year and most get made into marmalade, but they freeze well if you want to stock them.

Latest posts

Back