Orange Creamsicle Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nesto

Reaction score
I took some ideas from a few recipes and here's my take on turning the idea into a beer! I started with a standard cream ale recipe... like an American lager, but made with ale yeast. To the rather typical cream ale, I added 0.45kg (1 lb) of lactose (milk sugar) into the boil. I tried to find citrusy hops - Magnum for bittering and Cascade and Amarillo for flavor and aroma.

I've been looking for better and more precise methods to impart flavors during secondary and I came across this blog post... Infusion Profusion: Game-Changing Fast ‘N Cheap Technique. Using this method, I made orange and vanilla infusions. Here is the specific formula I used...

Orange:
51g Navel Orange peel (3 medium-large oranges). I used a vegetable peeler to peel skin off, trying not to get much of the bitter white pith. Put orange peel into whipper with 140ml of Kirkland vodka. Close up and used 2 N2O cartridges. I let the 1st cartridge sit for 60 sec, then with the 2nd cartridge I agitated for 60 sec. When that was done, I placed the whipper on a level surface and released all the N2O with one full pull. Don't breathe it in - it's bad for you. Then strained through cheese cloth into a canning jar.

Vanilla:
1 tsp vanilla bean. I use this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C98W4S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20, it's the highest quality I've been able to find. Put vanilla bean into whipper with 140ml of Kirkland vodka. Close up and use 1 N2O cartridge. I agitated for 60 sec. When that was done, I placed the whipper on a level surface and released all the N2O with one full pull. Don't breathe it in - it's bad for you. Then strained through cheese cloth into a canning jar.

For my taste, I found that 10ml of the orange plus 15ml of the vanilla in 100ml of the base cream ale was just right. Scale up to your batch size as needed.

Here's the recipe.
Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Orange CreamsicALE
Brewer: Ernie, Pete, Keith
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 24.93 l
Post Boil Volume: 21.53 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.70 l   
Bottling Volume: 18.95 l
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.08 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        79.2 %        
0.23 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)    Grain         2        4.5 %         
0.23 kg               Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                   Grain         3        4.5 %         
0.11 kg               Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         4        2.1 %         
0.05 kg               Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                      Grain         5        1.0 %         
20.00 g               Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min         Hop           6        27.2 IBUs     
0.45 kg               Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 15 min](0 Dry Extract   7        8.7 %         
10.00 g               Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           8        4.5 IBUs      
10.00 g               Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min    Hop           9        2.1 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP08 Yeast         10       -             
1.00 Items             Orange Infusion, Sweet (Secondary 7.0 days)  Spice       11       -             
1.00 Items             Vanilla Infusion (Secondary 7.0 days)    Spice         12       -             

Mash Schedule: 00_BM20, Light Body, No Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.15 kg
----------------------------
Name                   Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification       Add 28.36 l of water and heat to 67.0 C 67.0 C        60 min        
Mash Out               Add 0.00 l of water and heat to 78.0 C  78.0 C        5 min         

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently in fermenter? Taste report? Pics?

I find this pretty interesting thanks for posting

What style would this end up being classified as? The lactose seems like it would totally shift this from being a cream ale to something opposite.

Currently in fermenter? Taste report? Pics?

I find this pretty interesting thanks for posting

It's all bottled and half drunk by now. I bottled the base beer separately so I could compare. The base beer... Aroma is light malt and corn flakes. Hop aroma is citrus and flowers. A light maltiness comes through in the flavor along with toasted corn and citrusy hops. Finishes nicely sweet, but not too cloying. Mouthfeel is distinctly creamy - from the lactose. Despite the corn flavors, there is no DMS and also no diacetyl. It is a bit cloudy. Whirlfloc was used, but no other filtering or fining agents.

With addition of orange and vanilla, the citrus aroma and flavors really pop along with a really pleasant vanilla cream. Nicely balanced and quite refreshing, it's something you could drink multiple pints of. And with ABV of 4.7%, it will let you! My wife would have liked a little less vanilla, but she enjoyed it as well.

Not a great pic, I attached one of the two tinctures and the beer (on the right).

What style would this end up being classified as? The lactose seems like it would totally shift this from being a cream ale to something opposite.
I think you'd classify it as a Fruit Beer (Cat 20) with cream ale as the base, noting the additions of lactose, vanilla and orange. I suppose you could also classify as Specialty (Cat 23) noting the same things.

Orange CreamsicALE.jpg

Hey! I made essentially the same thing at the request of my Mom. She loves creamsicles. I did about the same amount of lactose and also did orange peel with a healthy dose of vanilla. My abv even turned out very close to yours at 4.5%. Only difference was I was Apollo and Amarillo

I think you'd classify it as a Fruit Beer (Cat 20) with cream ale as the base, noting the additions of lactose, vanilla and orange. I suppose you could also classify as Specialty (Cat 23) noting the same things.
Thanks. Wasn't really thinking for competitions, was more just a morbid curiosity. About 6 months ago I had created a Orange Creamsicle recipe as well, but decided to just go base cream ale. This post got me thinking about doing it again, but since you have done your recipe and it seems like with success, I might just work off yours.

Next time I might go with 10% vanilla tincture (instead of 15%) at the request of my wife. Have to say, using the whipper with N2O is awesome. I've fiddled with adding orange peels and vanilla beans and extract directly with inconsistent results. Doing the vodka tincture in a whipper was fantastic. I'm going to try it with lime in my next brew - an American Light Lager. hehe

Also going to try Mandarina Bavaria hops next time with this Creamsicle recipe - a new brew buddy is a hop distributor!

Back