Orange Blossom Wheat Critique/Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazersgopewpew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at a recipe and would greatly appreciate some Help and feedback.
Orange blossoms have been in bloom lately near where I got to school and the scent has intoxicated me, and I decided I had to put that in a beer.

Grains/Extract:
3.3 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract
3 lbs Pilsner (2 row)
1 lb Malted Wheat
8 oz Honey Malt

Hops:
0.5 oz Cascade (60 min)
0.7 oz Citra (5 min)

1.0 oz Coriander (5 min)
0.5 oz Chamomile (5 min)
1.0 oz Fresh Orange/Blood Orange zest (5 min)
0.5 oz Fresh Lemon zest (5 min)

Yeast:
For yeast I was considering either WLP410 or WLP380. Any thoughts?

So Here's the fun Part, I found Orange Blossom extract online. Should this be added in during flame out? Or before Bottling? And I was considering maybe 2 tbsp for the 5 Gallon Batch as I've heard flower extracts can be quite overpowering.

-I've also been toying with the Idea of adding a few pods of Green Cardamom at about 5 min instead of Orange Blossom extract. Any thoughts?

I just made a somewhat similar beer a week ago. I recommend the Wyeast 1010 American wheat. It is a minimal ester/phenol producing strain that some call boring but IMO is awesome for producing a wheat where you don't want the yeast to be the main attraction. As far as criticism...
I would edge back on that honey malt. 8 ounces of the stuff will give you a very sweet honey flavor , too much so for some people. And have you thought about putting orange blossom honey in?

I've considered the Orange Blossom honey, but I've heard that most of its qualities are lost during the boil etc. I'm looking for a really pronounced (yet not overpowering) blossom scent.
And I'll definitely take that advice on the honey malt. Any recommendation as to how much it should be scaled down to?

Also, would the Green Cardamom be too much to add in with the Orange blossom?

I think you'd be fine with 4-5 ounces of the honey malt. As far as losing the honey aroma, the trick is that you don't boil it, but add it during fermentation. Don't worry about sanitation, as long as its a freshly opened container and not one the kids have been sticking their fingers into. Thousands of people on this forum make mead without heating the honey and have no sanitation issues. I use 1-2 pounds and then I use it for bottling and it adds a ton of honey/orange character

Back