Orange Blob Bad???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkingmonkey

Reaction score
This is my second brew and I am hooked. I know I'm not supposed to worry, but it's hard. I attempted to make a wheat ale similar to Sam Summer. I used fresh lemon zest at the end for 10 minutes after turning of the heat. I immediately put the wort in an ice bath for 15-20 minutes, (I pitched my 1st batch way too early, at 80+ degrees.) I pitched the yeast on this batch at 64 degrees, so respiration started slowly, (>12hrs). It is bubbling now with a nice foam on half of the wort...The OTHER HALF is a funky looking orange bubbly blob! Am I in trouble here? It smells great through the airlock.

Thanks Revvy, I sent you a picture, (can't post attachments yet). I am so glad I found this website. I am getting a lot more answers here than I can get from the brew shops.

Thanks Revvy, I sent you a picture, (can't post attachments yet). I am so glad I found this website. I am getting a lot more answers here than I can get from the brew shops.

Keep in mind you could still put the pictures on a third party site like photobucket and link the

For those of you who are wondering.

Batch2summerale.jpg

I zoomed in on it in photoviewer...they're just big co2 bubbles covered in krauzen.

I bet they make a cool sound when they pop!

That's hot... now put the cover back on the "tron environment".....
and leave it one hehehehe......

Kinda looks like the garbage pail in my garage.. be it a nice garage full of nice cars.. and a kewl garbage pail...........................
any way still a garage... full of wheat tron beer.
WTF?

You guys are making me blush. Thanks for the inspiration...I give you Flynn's Freedom Wheat. But yes, it's just a trash can...a really clean trash can.

My god.... it's full of stars!

Be careful reaching in there in a few days, or you'll get a CO2 Nose Burn Surprise!

:off: I'm so glad I've found a place where there are TRON fans. My wife still gives me the, "What's wrong with you?" look every time I make a reference :D

-Joe

Most of the big bubbles are gone now, but the CO2 is still pouring out. Smells good, real good. In the immortal words of Tom Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part." I need more carboys!:rockin:
Sark sucks.

Most of the big bubbles are gone now, but the CO2 is still pouring out. Smells good, real good. In the immortal words of Tom Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part." I need more carboys!:rockin:
Sark sucks.

You don't ALWAYS have to ferment in carboys...Buckets are a cheap backup....I have 2 of each so I'm never prevented from brewing when the urge or the perfect recipe comes along.

I don't have the confidence yet to lock my beer away in a bucket. How could I check in on it 84 times a day? I just started on 6/8. My first beer, ("By the Bock"-straight from a kit, primed with honey), is in the bottle and my wheat just started fermenting. Down the road I'm sure I'll be running multiple fermenters: This is like crack! Thanks again for all the advice!

I don't have the confidence yet to lock my beer away in a bucket. How could I check in on it 84 times a day? I just started on 6/8. My first beer, ("By the Bock"-straight from a kit, primed with honey), is in the bottle and my wheat just started fermenting. Down the road I'm sure I'll be running multiple fermenters: This is like crack! Thanks again for all the advice!

You don't have to check you beer 84 times a day....the yeasts are experts at making beer, they've been doing it since ancient Babylon...they know what they're doing. :D

All you have to do is provide them a clean home and some nice sweet food to eat, and they'll do their job for ya!

Print this out and stick it on the door of your brew closet or wherever you stow your carboy. :mug:

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back