options on AHS kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but...

I'm looking at the AHS Belgian White Beer for my first brew, should I spring for the $7 "recommended" liquid yeasts or stick with the standard dry? I am planning on just doing the DME kit for the first time out. Also are the "yeast fuel" or the alocohol boost worth it or should I just keep it simple?

The description says that the coriander seeds need to be cracked before adding to wort... can I just use a rolling pin?

I love White Labs, They are local and I use them when I want that extra special touch. I never buy them online. I go to my LHBS and pay a little extra. They have to be shipped in cold packs.

I don't do a lot of Belgians but I've heard okay things about the dry yeast they recommend with the kit. I was thinking of trying it myself the next time I brew a Belgian.

I think it would be fine for a 1st brew and will keep the price down. Just follow the directions and you'll do fine.

But, If you have local access to the White Labs, they are great.

Can crack spice with rolling pin. I would use folded paper towel to keep the gains from flying. I've used the bottom of a glass mug.

Welcome to brewing, I'm sure it'll be great:mug:

I'm sure this has been asked before but...

I'm looking at the AHS Belgian White Beer for my first brew, should I spring for the $7 "recommended" liquid yeasts or stick with the standard dry? I am planning on just doing the DME kit for the first time out. Also are the "yeast fuel" or the alocohol boost worth it or should I just keep it simple?

The description says that the coriander seeds need to be cracked before adding to wort... can I just use a rolling pin?

Since it's your first, just do dry yeast and the yeast fuel. Think of it as a baseline to judge future brews against. Later you'll be making starters, and rocket fuel, and all grains - keep the first one simple.

-OCD

I've never used "yeast fuel" if I'm worried about my yeasties pooping out I just make a really big starter. I'd leave the Alcohol Booster alone as well, it's really just around 1lb of sugar that gets added to your boil. IMHO it thins out the beer. Leave the kit as is, use the dry yeast and rehydrate it in 1cup of boiled/cooled water before you pitch. It'll be great!

Definitely get a liquid yeast for witbiers. No need for yeast fuel if you have some standard yeast nutrients at home. No need for the alcohol boost either.

For a Belgian white, I would prefer a liquid yeast, and make a starter for it. However, if this is your first batch, you're probably not going to be up for making a starter. As a compromise I think Safbrew T-58 is a good choice. For a first beer, with that style, I think a Belgian-ish dry yeast is better than using a white ale liquid yeast without an appropriate starter.

Frankly, I don't think I'd recommend making that style for a first or second beer.

My advice is keep it simple for a first brew. (You can ignore the rest of the post after this point:) Unless you really want to hear MHO:)

So long as you follow directions and sanatize your equipment it will turn out fine.

It would not be my first choice for a home brew either, but I'm guessing it is what you like, so that's why you brewing it.

I made the mistake of starting with lagers way back when. It is what I drank growing up in Western Canada. I thought, I'll brew what I drink. I soon realized basic ales were much easier.

The biggest issues with the first time brews are what temperature will you have to ferment. I use my laundry room. I get a fairly constant 72 degrees in spring and fall. Right now I get about 65 degrees. Good temps for ales.

Keep in mind the overnight temps are going to affect the temps of your wort, especially if you use central heating. By this I mean, you look at the room thermostat and think my room is 70 degrees. They you put the primary in a closet and it's sitting at 55 degrees.

I would think about where you are going to leave your primary and leave your 5 gal bucket full of water with a thermometer. Leave it for a day or two and check your temps.

Then check the yeast you plan to use and the recommended temps for the style you want to brew.

In a cold climate (Winter where you are). Your biggest issue I'm guessing will be keeping your yeast warm and happy. Belgian yeasts in general like warmer temps. The yeast also need oxygen to get started. If you splash your wort into the bucket you should be okay.

Liquid yeasts are great, but I don't want the new brewer to get the idea they are doing something wrong by using a good dry yeast. It was not that long ago, liquid yeasts were not avail to the homebrewer and we all used dry.

If you do use a liquid, especially one that has been shipped, I would use a starter. I think that is more complicated than you want for a 1st brew.

why is that?

It's a pretty advanced style because there is so much flavor complexity to it, as well as uncommon ingredients. Just adding Wheat LME and some dry yeast isn't going to turn out all that well.
Here is my current Wit recipe (without fruit added):

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb DME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 7.87 %
3.50 lb Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 27.56 %
2.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.69 %
1.00 lb Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM) Grain 7.87 %
0.75 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.91 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.94 %
0.35 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Juniper Berries (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) [StartYeast-Wheat

Add to that an overnight mash innoculated with acidulated malt to get a slight lactic character, and getting the temperature profile right so that the yeast phenols play nice with the spice character.

While there is nothing wrong with dry yeast, the yeast is the most important flavor when making a Belgian beer. For an IPA it is the hops and for an Oktoberfest it is the malt. There is not a dry yeast that has the correct flavor for Belgian beers. Trust me.

Please do not use dry yeast in a Belgian white beer for your first beer. I want you to make it taste like it should so you will keep brewing.

Feel free to ask Austin Homebrew questions about Austin Homebrew.

The yeast fuel is a yeast nutrient. If you want to have the best fermentation I highly recommend it. If your fermentation is slow and sluggish (takes more that 3-4 days) then you need it.

As for the Alcohol Boost, this is purely optional. It is the least expensive way to get an additional 1% alcohol without changing the flavor or color.

Forrest

Not using actual Belgian yeast in a Belgian Beer is like using hop flavoring in a IPA.

If a beer is based on hops use the best hops, if it is based on malt use the best malt. You can use dry yeast on these beers.

If the beer is based on yeast, use the best yeast.

Forrest

Not using actual Belgian yeast in a Belgian Beer is like using hop flavoring in a IPA.

If a beer is based on hops use the best hops, if it is based on malt use the best malt. You can use dry yeast on these beers.

Forrest

This makes a lot of sense.

ArcaneXor said:
It's a pretty advanced style because there is so much flavor complexity to it, as well as uncommon ingredients. Just adding Wheat LME and some dry yeast isn't going to turn out all that well.
Here is my current Wit recipe (without fruit added):

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb DME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 7.87 %
3.50 lb Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 27.56 %
2.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.69 %
1.00 lb Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM) Grain 7.87 %
0.75 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.91 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.94 %
0.35 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Juniper Berries (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) [StartYeast-Wheat

Add to that an overnight mash innoculated with acidulated malt to get a slight lactic character, and getting the temperature profile right so that the yeast phenols play nice with the spice character.

^That is intimidating as hell.:eek:

Thanks for all the replies in this thread. I decided to go with an american amber. sounds much simpler?

Our AHS White Beer kit is extremely popular and extremely easy to make. The main ingredients (what makes it a white beer) are bitter orange peel, coriander, and Belgian wit yeast. Real simple and amazing results. Ask anyone who has made it.

Look at our comments section for the beer on our website. You must be logged in to access it.

Forrest

I have made the AHS Wit kit 3 times now. The recipe is very simple and it makes a tasty beer for both beer snobs and BMC drinkers. I used the white labs yeast every time so I could not personally comment on any differences but Forrest's advice makes sense. As far as the coriander, I used a coffee grinder. Have fun!

Eric

This is a great kit for a novice brewer. It has a 30 minute boil and the ingredients are very simple. Do not fear the Wyeast Activator packs. When I am feeling lazy (which is most of the time) I dont even make a starter for them.

I have made the AHS Wit kit three times, all three times were partial mash and I used Wyeast Activator packs. This beer is awsome and is extremly easy to brew. All three times I just activated the yeast pack and left it at room temp for 24 hours. No starter, pitched straight from the pack and had spot on attenuation.

The first time I didn't read the directions and boiled it for an hour instead of 30 minutes as suggested and it was still great. Good enough I did it again.

The second time I jacked up the fermentation temp to 75F just to make it have a funky Belgian Wit taste, it only lasted one weekend. Wow it was good!

This one I am drinking now I fermented at 64 degrees and is very good and has a nice clean taste. The corriander and the orange peel shine but I liked the the one that fermented at 75 degree's best.

The great thing is it tastes great young. I have brewed it, left it in a primary for three weeks, kegged, forced carbed and drinking it in under a month. I filled a couple six packs with a beer gun and put them in the back of the fridge. At three months old it is very smooth but the orange and the corriander are fading. That is why I would think this is a good kit for a novice brewer. No need for pateince, drink this one young it is great!

Forrest

I thought the recommended dry yeast is a Belgian strain? I have never used it so I guess I don't really know. I was talking to some brewers at the LHBS who said they used it. If it is not a Belgian Strain of yeast then definitely go with the liquid yeast (And I apologize for talking out my *ss:)

Belgians definatly get a lot of flavor from the yeast. I have to admit all the Belgians I've tasted came from White Labs yeast. I was interested in trying the dried yeast to taste the difference:confused:

Austin Home brew has a great reputation and it sounds like they support there product. :)

My first concern was shipping that far with a liquid yeast. But I'm guessing Forrest is guaranteeing he can get it to you.

My second concern was for a first time brewer to not use dry yeast if there is a good one available. Sounds like it may not be a good choice for this beer.

The great thing about a kit is you know the recipe works. I don't see you having a problem with this kit. Just follow the instructions and make sure you have the right temp for the yeast to ferment at.

Your beer will be great, let us know how it turns out:) I might have to try that kit myself:D

Back