Opshaug Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I bought 6 gallons of fresh pressed cider, no additives, not pasteurized. I asked what the blend was, and they said it was just whatever needed pressed, and that they try to blend 60% sweet, and 40% tart. When I tasted it, well, that stuff is crazy sweet! Not sure how many tart apples made it into that batch.

I am doing two gallons with the wild yeasts. I just added nutes and put an airlock on the sanitized glass jug, put it in the fermentation chamber at 60F, and yesterday, the airlock started bubbling in both jugs. The pH of this batch was 5.6, so I added some acid blend to bring it down to 3.8. I know its not required, but I like it "bright".

I am doing 3 gallons of the cider using Opshaug Kveik from White Labs. The LHBS is stocking it, so I bought a vial :)
First, I added crushed campden tablets, tannin, yeast nutes (DAP, Fermaid O, B-1), and heated the cider to 75F as this is the recommended pitching temperature. I waited about 36 hours before I pitched the yeast. The lag time was about a day. Once I saw the activity in the airlock, I increased the temperature to 80F. I read that the maximum temperature is 95F for Opshaug, though I have heard that some go above 100F. I may go to 95F, not sure. I still have about 1/2 gallon set aside to top off later. I put a half a tab of campden in it. This morning, the airlock was going crazy and was filled with Krausen, so I quickly made a blow off tube with a piece of racking cane and some tubing, and put the end of the tube into a glass bottle partially filled with water. The bubbles are basically a rolling boil. I will see if this is a 4 day ferment as it is touted to be with beer. I think since the sugars in apple cider are 100% fermentable, it may take a little longer for the yeast to finish it off. Its unlikely that I will add any more nutes; I will play it by ear.

I will update the thread if anything interesting comes up. Although, I will not likely add anything to this batch as I want to see what it tasted like straight since its my first batch from fresh, unpasteurized cider.

Off to Work!

I'm thinking of doing something similar to this from a local orchard's ground apples. Did you pasteurize the cider first? I'm concerned about bacteria getting a foothold before fermentation and producing off flavors or any other issues. Love to hear how these come out!

I'm thinking of doing something similar to this from a local orchard's ground apples. Did you pasteurize the cider first? I'm concerned about bacteria getting a foothold before fermentation and producing off flavors or any other issues. Love to hear how these come out!
I used campden tabs. 1 tab per gallon, then pitched about 36 hours later

Latest posts

Back