Opps too strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnation

Reaction score
I brewed a couple days ago. I was shooting for an ipa around 6.3% abv but my OG ended up around 1.073. Which is gonna make for a brew around 8.3% . I was gonna wait until fermentation was done and when I'm doing my first dry hop addition I was going to add some pre boiled water to get it close to 6.3 %. Would in any way have any adverse effects on the brew. Any idea how much water I should add?

Dilution with sterile water should be harmless (aside from the obvious effect ;))

As for how much to add, that can be calculated exactly - if one knows how much beer one is starting with...which you neglected to convey...

Cheers!

I brewed a couple days ago. I was shooting for an ipa around 6.3% abv but my OG ended up around 1.073. Which is gonna make for a brew around 8.3% . I was gonna wait until fermentation was done and when I'm doing my first dry hop addition I was going to add some pre boiled water to get it close to 6.3 %. Would in any way have any adverse effects on the brew. Any idea how much water I should add?

Was this an all grain recipe or extract with top off water in the fermentor? Could be a SG measurement error if it was extract topped off to the fermentation volume in the fermentor.

Was this an all grain recipe or extract with top off water in the fermentor? Could be a SG measurement error if it was extract topped off to the fermentation volume in the fermentor.

+1 ^^^^ If you added top up water, it is unlikely that you got an accurate OG measurement from your sample. It tends to stratify initially, so depending on whether you take your sample off the top or bottom you will often get an OG that is way higher or way lower than what you expect (and what you actually have). Before you go adding more water to your beer, be aware that you might have actually started at the correct OG but got an erroneous hydrometer reading due to this -- and you wouldn't want to dilute your beer down significantly if you were on point to begin with.

I agree with the above posters. If it is extract, I'd leave it alone.

If, however, it's a true reading, I'd rather keep the abv the same, and dry hop the hell out of it to make a double IPA with a great nose.

I agree with the above posters. If it is extract, I'd leave it alone.

If, however, it's a true reading, I'd rather keep the abv the same, and dry hop the hell out of it to make a double IPA with a great nose.

I'm in the camp of "leave it alone" whether it is extract or all grain. If extract you can't miss the OG if you used the correct amount of water, If all grain and your efficiency was that much higher than predicted and you then dilute it to bring down the OG, you also dilute any flavor grains and end up with a more "watery" beer. If you leave it alone, the flavors will be correct but the amount of alcohol will be high. Such a miserable problem to deal with, beer with too much alcohol.:p

Back