Opinions Please: LHBS Yeast Viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdonnelly68

Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
(For the record: I like to support my LHBS and don't mind paying more for the convenience of having a local source for supplies.)

So I stopped by my Local Home Brew Store to pick up some Munich Lager yeast for a Helles I'm going to brew.

The shop owner fetches me a Wyeast 2308 Smack Pack and charges me $8 bucks for it. As I was walking out, I checked the manufactured date on the pack, and it was listed as 11Jan12.

I asked the owner if I was reading the date correctly - he said 'Yes'. I asked him if I should have any concerns about the viability of the yeast - he said 'No'. I took my leave.

When I got home I checked the Mr.Malty yeast calculator and based in the manufacturer's date, the calculator estimated the yeast viability at 10% and suggested I head back and get 12 more for my 5 gallon batch.

So what have more experienced folks found? Is six month old yeast (even properly stored) next to nil, or is Jamil being overly harsh in his pitching calculations?

Thanks in advance for your two cents.

Mr. Malty always says yeast viability is 10%, at least when I use it (I have a MacBook Pro, if that matters). I've started using the yeast pitch rate calc in Beersmith with much success! It might be helpful to know that the date on Wyeast smack packs is the date of manufacture, while White Labs uses a "best by" date, which is 4 months post-manufacture. So effectively, your "best by" date, at least according to White Labs, would have been 05.11.2012. My LHBS would have sold me this for half off, and it's something I'd bring up with your LHBS owner. That said, if you build up a big enough starter (1.5 gallons, or 6 liters), you will definitely be fine. I've known guys who successfully build up yeast that 6 to 12 months expired using a starter. Hope that helps!

According to this page under "Longer Shelf Life" Wyeast has a 6 month from manufacture date warranty, which puts that smack pack just outside the warranty. I'd make the LHBS owner aware of the fact that he's selling product outside the warranty period. Make a starter and if the yeast doesn't take off go back and ask for a pack that's within date. If (AND ONLY IF) he refuses to work with you on the issue you might want to drop Wyeast a line about it.

According to this page under "Longer Shelf Life" Wyeast has a 6 month from manufacture date warranty, which puts that smack pack just outside the warranty. I'd make the LHBS owner aware of the fact that he's selling product outside the warranty period. Make a starter and if the yeast doesn't take off go back and ask for a pack that's within date. If (AND ONLY IF) he refuses to work with you on the issue you might want to drop Wyeast a line about it.

Agreed.

Revvy said:
Make a starter, make a starter, make a starter....

Yup, I've listened and learned.

I always do a starter (but never as large as 1.5 gallons).

Just curious about yeast's viability in it's golden years.

I pitched a smack pack of cider yeast in 6 gallons of juice on Sunday. The date on the yeast was Feb 12. 2 hours after smacking it still hadn't expanded much. This morning the airlock was bubbling away.

A starter is always a good idea, but the yeast will usually do their thing no matter what you do

Back