opinions on using roasted barley to an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you going for? It won't be an IPA and a CDA doesn't have that much roasty character; you use Special Roast and Carafa to get the color w/out the roastiness.

Check out Hazed & Infused clones. It uses a VERY small amount of roasted barley, but it does have some, and its a tasty Dry Hopped APA.

I hear you...you should really try a Black IPA. I've been wanting to make one for a while. Its basically an IPA that is black in color, and just has a slight roasted flavor to it. My 2 fav combos-roasty and hoppy! Here is a recipe I recently came across, that sounds like its tried and true. Here is a link for it. Just use Carafa III instead of roasted barley, and some mid-range crystal.

I hear you...you should really try a Black IPA. I've been wanting to make one for a while. Its basically an IPA that is black in color, and just has a slight roasted flavor to it. My 2 fav combos-roasty and hoppy! Here is a recipe I recently came across, that sounds like its tried and true. Here is a link for it. Just use Carafa III instead of roasted barley, and some mid-range crystal.

hmmmm i might make this next. looks delicious!

I LOVE my Cascadian Dark Ale!!! But...

:off: C'mon y'all, Black IPA? BIPA? Isn't that also the acronym for Belgian IPA's? Too confusing...CDA just roles off the tongue and is an approppriate homage to our Northwestern hop growing brethren!!! They don't care where you brew it, hell mine is called Yankee Killer Texas CDA!

Rant over :D

CDA's are NOT very roasty. The Carafa gives it color WITHOUT the roastiness of Roasted Barley. Some brewers use liquid Sinimar to get color w/ NO roastiness. The roasty character should be VERY subtle. If you closed your eyes your initial impression should be "That is a damn fine IPA," then the roast sneeks in, playing slightly different hoppy notes that a classic IPA just can't seem to hit. The slight roast character brings out some unique qualities in familiar hops. I'd be happy to post my recipe (still a work in progress) if you want to try it. Both Zymurgy and BYO had a bunch of recipes a few months ago too. I highly recommend you brew one, but if you brew it to style, you won't get that roastiness you are looking for. Doesn't mean it won't be awesome though!!!

Have you ever brewed a big hoppy American stout or Imperial Stout? I think that may be what you are looking for...Roasty, coffee, chocolate, dark dried fruits, and HOPPY, HOPPY, HOPPY :rockin:

Brewing styles (such as IPA) should be followed if submitting to a competition, but other than that, I say experiment with the flavours you like, even if they are not traditionally in the style. Personally, 2-3oz of roasted barley in a 5 US gallon batch of IPA gives a very nice taste, with just a hint of roastiness. I reccomend using brewing software, so that you can get a good idea of how the roasted will affect the IPA's colour, although, again, if its not for a competition, this is personal preference.

Brewing styles (such as IPA) should be followed if submitting to a competition, but other than that, I say experiment with the flavours you like, even if they are not traditionally in the style. Personally, 2-3oz of roasted barley in a 5 US gallon batch of IPA gives a very nice taste, with just a hint of roastiness. I reccomend using brewing software, so that you can get a good idea of how the roasted will affect the IPA's colour, although, again, if its not for a competition, this is personal preference.

I agree wholeheartedly!!! Experimentation is what makes homebrewing fun and you should brew what you like. I don't think styles should be thrown out the window though...you gotta know the rules to know how to break 'em right :D

What are you going for? It won't be an IPA and a CDA doesn't have that much roasty character; you use Special Roast and Carafa to get the color w/out the roastiness.

IMO, the Victory Twilight Dark IPA does have quite a bit of roasty flavor. Not like a stout obviously but it's quite noticeable to me... and I love it. It is my favorite CDA, India Black Ale, Dark IPA, whatever you want to call it, that I've found so far.

I say add all the roasted malt you want!

CDA's are NOT very roasty. The Carafa gives it color WITHOUT the roastiness of Roasted Barley. Some brewers use liquid Sinimar to get color w/ NO roastiness. The roasty character should be VERY subtle. If you closed your eyes your initial impression should be "That is a damn fine IPA," then the roast sneeks in, playing slightly different hoppy notes that a classic IPA just can't seem to hit.

Have you ever brewed a big hoppy American stout or Imperial Stout? I think that may be what you are looking for...Roasty, coffee, chocolate, dark dried fruits, and HOPPY, HOPPY, HOPPY :rockin:

this is exactly what im looking for.

I love Carafa Special malts, but that is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think "roasty". He should use Roasted Barley for that, maybe 2 oz vs 4 oz. Carafa is too smooth, which is why it makes a phenomenal schwarzbier.

i just love the roasty taste so much i wanted to impart a bit in my IPA.

I love Carafa Special malts, but that is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think "roasty". He should use Roasted Barley for that, maybe 2 oz vs 4 oz. Carafa is too smooth, which is why it makes a phenomenal schwarzbier.

I love IPAs, but a "roasty" IPA doesn't sound good to me. A hint of roast, sure. But "roasty" and hoppy don't always blend that great in an IPA.

Now, if you want some roasty and hoppy beer flavor, why not try a hoppy American stout? It's a hopped up stout vs. a roasty IPA, if that makes sense. Homercidal makes a phenomenal American stout, and I'm sure he's posted the recipe.

I love IPAs, but a "roasty" IPA doesn't sound good to me. A hint of roast, sure. But "roasty" and hoppy don't always blend that great in an IPA..

i mean a slight hint of roasty. i may start off with 3oz in my IPA recipe.

12.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.22 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.58 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.72 %
0.20 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.49 %
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (60 min) Hops 43.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (15 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (Dry Hop)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Measured Original Gravity: SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.54 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.06 %
Bitterness: 54.1 IBU Calories: 306 cal/pint

Latest posts

Back