Opinions on my hop schedule for double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabbed_Out_Brewing

Reaction score
Being only a third time brewer, and feeling ambitious and experimental i decided to step away from kit directions and experiment. anyone have experience with the following combo? any opinions on how this will taste?

2 oz Columbus: 60 min (bittering)
2 oz columbus: 15 min
2 oz cascade: flame out

3 oz Citra: dry hop week before bottling
1 oz simcoe: dry hop with citra week before bottling

thoughts? cheers guys! :mug:

cant go wrong with the C hops. I say this to every IPA recipe I see, but id shift it more towards flameout/hopstand additions and like double the hops. Here's my latest regular strength IPA. It turned out fantastic. More hop flavor than Ive ever tasted, but a crisp clean finish with no bitterness to make you come back for more. Drinks like strawberry hop-gatorade
@60: 1 oz apollo
@10: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz Huell Melon
@0min: 1.5 oz Belma / 1.5 oz Huell Melon / 2 oz El dorado / 1 oz citra
@30min into hopstand: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz Huell Melon / 1 oz Citra
@dry: 0.5 oz Belma / 0.5 oz Huell Melon / 2 oz El Dorado
@keg: 1 oz citra

so just rearranging your amounts id do this, with a hopstand for an hour or so. I like citra and simcoes flavor contributions the best though:
@60: 1 oz columbus
@10: 1 oz columbus / 1 oz citra
@0: 1 oz citra / 1 oz simcoe / 2 oz cascade / 1 oz columbus
@dry: 1 oz citra / 1 oz columbus

This is really dependent on the size of the batch and the grain bill. At first glance it looks like a really high IBU just from the use of Columbus which is traditionally 15% AA.

The times look good, I just did an IPA with Galaxy that did a similar schedule with a different hop bill.

1 oz: 60
1 oz: 15
2 oz: Whirlpool
3 oz: Dry hop 7 days

This was 5 gallon batch with 12.5 lbs of grain (mostly Maris Otter).

Edit:
Just want to clarify when I state grain bill I mean grain or extract bill.

Last edited:
This is really dependent on the size of the batch and the grain bill. At first glance it looks like a really high IBU just from the use of Columbus which is traditionally 15% AA.

The times look good, I just did an IPA with Galaxy that did a similar schedule with a different hop bill.

1 oz: 60
1 oz: 15
2 oz: Whirlpool
3 oz: Dry hop 7 days

This was 5 gallon batch with 12.5 lbs of grain (mostly Maris Otter).

Edit:
Just want to clarify when I state grain bill I mean grain or extract bill.
does this help at all?

5 gal batch

fermentables
9.9 lb. Light LME
1 lb. Corn Sugar

grains
8 oz. Caramel 40L
4 oz. Carapils

thanks again!

Ok, after doing a lazy conversion of LME to grain. It looks like you have the similar size grain bill that I did my IPA with. I would definitely go with what m00ps is saying(ish, I like more dry hops, but that's me).

1 oz of bittering on a 60 min boil for Columbus will go a long way. I like the way m00ps re-arranged the schedule without mucking around with the bill. The new schedule suggested seems solid.

cant go wrong with the C hops. I say this to every IPA recipe I see, but id shift it more towards flameout/hopstand additions and like double the hops. Here's my latest regular strength IPA. It turned out fantastic. More hop flavor than Ive ever tasted, but a crisp clean finish with no bitterness to make you come back for more. Drinks like strawberry hop-gatorade

so just rearranging your amounts id do this, with a hopstand for an hour or so. I like citra and simcoes flavor contributions the best though:
I REALLY appreciate the shared knowledge I've already got it in the fermenter for nearly two weeks, so obviously can't do the flame out additions that big this time around. However, I am going to try to bring up the aroma with a nice big citra dry hop and that 1 oz simcoe to give some pine to make up for it and hope it does some justice. Thanks again, I'll Reply with how it turns out.

Cheers!!

Just curious but when u add the zero addition how long do you let that steep and do you just add the hopstand addition on top of the zero min addition.

Just curious but when u add the zero addition how long do you let that steep and do you just add the hopstand addition on top of the zero min addition.

I've heard alot about how hop compounds will volatize over 180F. So I do my hopstands in 2 parts - the "flameout" addition and the "hopstand" addition. The flameout I figure gets more IBUs and flavor while the hopstand is some flavor but a lot of aroma. So I divide my massive amount of hops into 2 parts - what I want to taste and what I want to smell. Then the dry hops are like all smell of course

I hopstand for an hour usually. It gets down to 180F on its own after 30-45min. Then I add the "hopstand" hops. I did actually hopstand for 3 hours once (which was actually me passing out exhausted on the bed while waiting for the hopstand to be over so I could chill and start cleaning), but it didnt have any noticeable benefit compared to 1 hour.

I've heard alot about how hop compounds will volatize over 180F. So I do my hopstands in 2 parts - the "flameout" addition and the "hopstand" addition. The flameout I figure gets more IBUs and flavor while the hopstand is some flavor but a lot of aroma. So I divide my massive amount of hops into 2 parts - what I want to taste and what I want to smell. Then the dry hops are like all smell of course

I hopstand for an hour usually. It gets down to 180F on its own after 30-45min. Then I add the "hopstand" hops. I did actually hopstand for 3 hours once (which was actually me passing out exhausted on the bed while waiting for the hopstand to be over so I could chill and start cleaning), but it didnt have any noticeable benefit compared to 1 hour.

Could you in theory cover both flavor and aroma by putting in the hops at flameout then letting them steep until the temp comes down to hop stand temps ie below 180 then letting that steep for your hopstand time, say 30 min. That way you'd get a little more flavor and Ibus from the hotter wort flameout temp and the aroma and little more flavor from the cooler hopstand temps.

I see reading back on your post that this is what you do pretty much. I'm doing an all galaxy hopped beer today so I'll just throw the boil hops out of my hop spider at end of boil then reinsert the spider and add my fo/ hopstand for 45 min or whatever it takes for the temp to drop to 155 which is usually my end temp at the end of a hopstand of 30min.

I prefer to use just 1/2 an ounce for bittering and load up around 2-2.5 ounces at 21 and 7 mins as well as about 4 ounces for a whirlpool and dry hop.

I've even left out the bittering addition but it seemed to need it to me.

Back