opinions on my crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausen

Reaction score
So this is my first time milling my own grains. They will be for my first AG batch today:rockin: I've checked around at some pics of suggested crush of grains but just want to kinda get an idea of what some experienced at milling their own grain think. A heads up, I used a Corona mill. After some tinkering I think I got it pretty close to where it needs to be. If anything I might need to tighten it up slightly. There were still a few unbroken kernels in there. After looking at the bit of milled grain that I got from Morebeer though, they look very similar. I just didn't want to over crush. Not the best pics but I hope they give you an idea of what I'm working with.

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

if you're using the corona mill, tighten that bad boy up... a lot lol.

this is mine on the corona.

IMAG0633.jpg

Right on! I just didn't want to get carried away with it. I guess I'll tighten it up and run it through again. Btw, did you have to do any modifications to yours?

on mine i did. the variations between casting to casting are so different some need fixing and others don't. If it helps, this is how i did mine though. don't mind the size of the washers, i had them laying around and im' cheap :)

also, the design of the corona that was sent to me is very different from the others.

5487894618_85533bc12f_z.jpg

5487900506_74a9783504_z.jpg

5487899288_2f1c8b7a46_z.jpg

also, here is a picture i had with my first crush, i think i got %60ish eff. i tightened it down a bit more and hit 75-85% (depending on the grain bill).
so if it looks like this after a bit, tighten it up more. :mug:

5482693759_558e8140fe_b.jpg

Thanks for the replies. My first run actually looked like the crush in your last post. I thought it was kind of shredding the husks so I backed it off. I guess I don't know exactly what shredded husks look like. Yeah I got some washers initially but took them off because after some use it seemed I didn't need them. I think I will get a bolt so I can use my drill though. Thanks again, you've been very helpful. Now, off to make some beer with it. :rockin: One last thing. Do you have to adjust your mill to different grains you're using? It seemed like the white wheat malt needed a slightly wider gapping than the cara-pils. I could be wrong though.

on mine i did. the variations between casting to casting are so different some need fixing and others don't. If it helps, this is how i did mine though. don't mind the size of the washers, i had them laying around and im' cheap :)

also, the design of the corona that was sent to me is very different from the others.

5487894618_85533bc12f_z.jpg

5487900506_74a9783504_z.jpg

5487899288_2f1c8b7a46_z.jpg

Are you not wearing pants in the second pic? Just curious...

Don't worry about shredding husks. As long as you see enough pieces that are larger than your manifold holes/slits or the mesh in your braid...you're fine. Vorlauf will create a filtration bed for everything.

shredded husks aka boogieman;)

from wiki...boogieman is an
amorphous imaginary being used by adults to frighten children into compliant
behaviour

A drill is a good idea, i have had best luck w/ a big one, 1/2", slower speed corded model (old school type) not w/ the nickel halide xenon batteries. although there are some new cordless drills that kick ass for a $$$.

wilserbrewer said:
shredded husks aka boogieman;)

from wiki...boogieman is an
amorphous imaginary being used by adults to frighten children into compliant
behaviour

A drill is a good idea, i have had best luck w/ a big one, 1/2", slower speed corded model (old school type) not w/ the nickel halide xenon batteries. although there are some new cordless drills that kick ass for a $$$.

I just got a D-handle 1/2" slow speed (0-800 RPM) drill with trigger lock and speed dial. I run it on lowest speed and got a pretty nice crush and killer efficiency last brew.

cl330b said:
Are you not wearing pants in the second pic? Just curious...

I like to diy in the buff...

Joking! Had been sliding forward to take pics which pulled my shorts up. You can see the strings from them atthe bottom of the pic

Rivenin said:
I like to diy in the buff...

Joking! Had been sliding forward to take pics which pulled my shorts up. You can see the strings from them atthe bottom of the pic

Yeah, I love being naked. The neighbors don't appreciate though! I like the crush you get with that Corona, I'm assuming after mods. I have been holding off on a mill but need one. I feel like I should spend the money on one of popular pricey ones, but would like some feedback on the Corona. How long do you think it would take to mill 20 lbs in one of those? How much does the hopper hold at once? Do you use a drill or the hand crank? Sorry if this has been covered...

Also, you mentioned, "different from the others". Have you had to replace them?

cl330b said:
How long do you think it would take to mill 20 lbs in one of those?

-----with my drill it takes prolly 5 or 6 minutes max. Ive actually never kept track but its not slow at all. But you dont want to run the corona mills super fast. I have the d handle half inch drill from harbor freight on low speed. I think its 40 bucks at harbor freight right now too and its what a ton of us use.

How much does the hopper hold at once?
-----My hopper i think holds maybe 2 pounds at a time. But i hold the drill with one hand and scoop grains with another. So it goes pretty quick.

Do you use a drill or the hand crank?
----- i hand cranked for about 3 batches till i started to fear one arm being bigger then the other and the laughs lol. But i use a drill now

Sorry if this has been covered...

Also, you mentioned, "different from the others". Have you had to replace them?
---nope. Never had to replace them. But there is a ton of variance from one to the other. Some dont need washers. some do. Some need one on one side. Hard to say till you play with it and see what you need... kinda like going through puberty... hah

Hope that helps!

I have a D-handle from Harbor Freight, locally and online it was $34.99, slow speed 0-800RPM with trigger lock and speed dial, plus the t-handle so you can bolt the drill down to a table or surface and walk away, let it do the work. I run it on the slowest speed.

Get a plastic water dispenser bottle, the big 5g. jobbies that go on the Culligan cooler, and cut the bottom off. The neck will fit nicely down in the stock corona hopper and the weight of the grain keeps it in place just fine. I put 18.5lbs. in mine and it wasn't near full.

I'd check the crush as you go, just keep reaching a hand down underneath and pulling up some grain coming from the mill and see what it looks like. I find dialing it down tighter as you go is a good idea, until you see zero uncracked grains, then crank it another tiny bit.

Rivenin, thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it. It sounds like the Corona is working well for you. I might have to give her a try.

Back