Opinions on long term health issues for using chrome faucets and brass hardware?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to go larger in size for my present keezer and have been reading about stainless steel faucets versus chrome. From a homebrewer's perpsective, is there any health problems using chrome plated faucets?

How about using brass hardware in my mash tun? I have read Palmer's section on pickling the brass but I don't have any homebrew buddies I can ask in person about what success they have had with brass versus ss.

I built my mash tun using brass fitting instead of stainless steel mostly because of cost and availability. Same reason why I used the economy chrome plated faucets instead of ss. Now swmbo wants two more taps put in (one for seltzer water and another for her choice of beer) and I began to wonder if I should gradually upgrade all of the faucets on the keezer. tried searching for opinions but there can be too much info out there to know what to trust.

Love to hear anyone's opinions/concerns.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry about it... there is more than enough brass and lead used in municipal water systems that whatever you use for your tap system is likey of little consequence. Get whatever you can afford and don't worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about it either. I will say that the perlick faucets are amazing, and well worth the extra money, but not because they're made of SS. I only have two perlicks on my 4 tap keezer, and can't wait to upgrade the other two. I have a non perlick SS faucet, and it sucks just as bad as the chrome ones.

I wouldn't worry about it either. I will say that the perlick faucets are amazing, and well worth the extra money, but not because they're made of SS. I only have two perlicks on my 4 tap keezer, and can't wait to upgrade the other two. I have a non perlick SS faucet, and it sucks just as bad as the chrome ones.

If you don't mind me asking what is it about your non-perlick faucets that make them "suck"? I might just use two perlick ones for the addional faucets for the expansion of the keezer to compare to non-perlicks. Having never used a perlick faucet I may not know how good/bad my present faucets are.

Would anyone recommend the 525 over the 575?

Thanks for the reply.

Forward sealing faucets (Perlick, Ventmatic) make their seal at the front of the faucet (at the top of the spout) letting all the beer drip out and leaving nothing in the barrel of the faucet exposed to air. Rear sealing faucets (standard Micromatic, etc) seal where the faucet meets the shank which lets beer sit in the barrel of the faucet and not drain out and leaving it exposed to air. This can make the faucet stick and not open smoothly and can also attract insects and make some funky aromas if not cleaned regularly/properly. I have 3 Ventmatics and 1 Perlick 525... not sure what the difference is between the 525/575 but the 525 works great for me.

Thanks for the information. I think I will check out both the Perlicks and the Ventmatics.

Go Reds

IIRC, the Ventmatics are not currently in production. Something about a patent dispute I think. Too bad as they are excellent faucets, but so are the forward sealing Perlicks.

Yep, pretty well explained above. The non forward sealing faucets sometimes freeze completely shut if I don't pour a beer out of them for a few days. I keep a spray bottle of star-san handy to clean the spout after every pour which both helps prevent the sticking and keeps it more sanitary. With the forward sealing design I don't have to worry about it. Then perlicks also operate smoother and seem to have a better fit and finish than the other ones. AFAIK perlick is currently the only producer of forward sealing faucets, but if you find some used Ventmatics they're good also. The 525's are fine for me, but I don't brew many stouts. The creamer feature on the 575's is kinda nice and usually not much more money, so I suppose it depends on if you'll use the feature or not.

I have 575's. They work like 525's, but also let you force the beer through small holes to create a creamy head. Supposedly, you can do the same thing by opening the 525 part way. So you really don't need to spend more, but it's also just a few bucks more. I think you will be happy with either one.

Back