Opinions on dry hopping a brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB428

Reaction score
I've got a 2.5 gallon batch of brown ale that has been sitting in primary for 4 weeks today. I was planning on bottling it at the end of last week or this week but my work schedule and lack of bottles didn't permit that. I'm hopefully going to make a trip to my brother's house for bottles this weekend.

I'm thinking of dry hopping this. The recipe that I was basing this brew off from called for dry hopping. I can transfer this to my converted Mr. Beer fermenter to dry hop until the weekend/next wednesday at the latest. I have about .5 oz of the following hops.

Centennial
Cascade
Kent Goldings
Cluster

I'm thinking the Cascade or Goldings would be the best choice, what would be a good amount to use for a 2.5 gallon batch, .25 oz? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On a side note, I'll be cracking a pale ale from my first batch today...pictures forthcoming :D

I brew Brown Ales a lot and I dry hop, normally cascade, 1/4 OZ at least... if it were mine I would use the entire 1/2 OZ ... but I am a hop head... loves those things.

Well,if you want it more English,go with the Kent Golding. Centennial is nice too,but I do like the Cascade. I'd go with a half ounce,regardless.

I went with the Goldings since that's what was in the brew to begin with. Started racking to my secondary then realized I hadn't put the hops in yet. Had to run to the freezer and grab the hops!

Back