Opinions on a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exovis

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I've just started home brewing and after a couple of basic beer kits I thought I'd try my hand at enhancing it a bit (BIAB equipment will be bought soon :) ). Anyway, I thought I'd post the recipe I fiddled together in Beersmith here and see what you guys thought and what I could have skipped or altered. Any input is appreciated since I'm very new and bumbling at this point :D

Recipe/process:
• CaraMunich II 500g & 25g Goldings hops steeped together for 20 min
• 1500g Muntons extra light DME + 300g Dextrose added and dissolved
• 25g Goldings added & steeped for 10 min
• Everything + pre-warmed Coopers Real Ale kit poured into fermentation vessel
• Cold water added up to 23L (6 Gallons) mark
• Stirred vigourously (to introduce oxygen for yeast into wort)
• OG measured at 1.048
• Left to settle for a short while before pitching yeast (Nottingham Ale yeast) @ 21°C (70F)

Looking forward to read your advice :)

Last edited:
Well I hope I understand what you wrote. The caramunich and the first Goldings hop should be boiled and more like 45 minutes to a hour. the DME and dextrose can be added ten minutes or so from when you want to quit boiling as this will keep the color light. the final hopping looks good. If you are using a Carboy to ferment in you want to add the cool water first and then shake the heck out of it for two minutes or so. now the most important part is to pitch the yeast if Nottingham at 62 degrees + - and then keep the fermentation the same temp for a week, if you can't hold these temps and they are important then use Safale us 5 yeast and pitch it and hold below 68 for a week after a week you can let the temps rise to 72 + - for a week and then take a Hydrometer reading to see if the beer is done.If you don't have a Hydrometer the figure it is done after 3 weeks. What are you trying to brew? Good Luck I am also a beginner with only 10 brews under my belt.:) Some more experienced guys will hopefully speak up!

Ah, thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind. I found a Mountain Goat Hightail clone recipe a while ago (can't remember where) and I used that as a base. The original recipe came out with rather low ABV in Beersmith so I wanted to kick it up a bit, but I'm not sure how the different ratios will affect the beer. I tried to compensate with the hops but we'll see how that turned out :)

I'm also curious about the difference between steeping and boiling grains when used with extract recipes, I've seen both when browsing recipes but haven't thought much of it until now. I'm sure there is information about that online, I'm off to find it :)

You're not going to want to boil grain. Steep the Cara for 15-30 mins. Add the extracts. Bring to a boil. Start adding hops. With an extract batch you can choose to boil for 60 mins or only 15 to sanitize the wort. You will have to adjust the bittering hops to compensate for the lack of boil time if you shorten it up.

Back