Opinion on used True kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pola0502ds

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a True Kegerator for sale and I want your opinion on this. Is it a good deal? Is True a good manufacturer of these products? Is it worth it to buy something this old? Will i get plenty of years out of it, etc..

He is selling it for $600, it's 9 years old, he's had to have it charged once already. He mentioned he had it charged because it started to leak somewhere. He's got 3 faucets on a draft tower and said there is room for a 4th but it wouldn't be dispensed from the tower, I would have to open the door get it direct from the keg.

Thanks guys.

This is whats for sale:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18..._Kegerator?a_aid=homebrewing&data1=kegerators

true is a great brand (one of the best, actually)...mostly commercial units

however, 9 years old is pretty old, and $600 is a lot, especially if it might have a leak. i'd keep looking.

i just bought a 2 tap tower kegerator (beermeister) that's probably 15 years old for 250, included was another 1 tap tower, 20# co2, manifold, gauges, etc. owner was a refrigeration engineer, so it was kept up nicely.

if you're impulsive, go ahead, but i would expect some problems (leak, thermostat, seals, etc)

good luck!

refrigeration engineer eh? Kinda like when I sell my car...I'm a mechanic.

hehe, normally i'd agree...but he had one helluva ferm chamber he built, using a resin garbage enclosure, and the compressor, etc from a chest freezer.

should have bought his grain mill...his brother was a 'carpenter' and built an awesome surround for it...

It cost me around 450 to build a 7.0 Keezer.....and I have 4 on tap.

That includes a new GE Deep Freezer and all the parts.

I would recommend you avoid something that old and costly. Would hate to see you need to replace the compressor early into your ownership....

good Luck:tank:

I wouldn't pay $600 for it, maybe $250 but no more. He's crazy thinking he can get $600 for a 9 year used kegerator with a leak

hehe, normally i'd agree...but he had one helluva ferm chamber he built, using a resin garbage enclosure, and the compressor, etc from a chest freezer.

should have bought his grain mill...his brother was a 'carpenter' and built an awesome surround for it...

Are there threads on this?

It cost me around 450 to build a 7.0 Keezer.....and I have 4 on tap.

That includes a new GE Deep Freezer and all the parts.

I would recommend you avoid something that old and costly. Would hate to see you need to replace the compressor early into your ownership....

good Luck:tank:

Did you document your build? That sounds more like it to me

I wouldn't pay $600 for it, maybe $250 but no more. He's crazy thinking he can get $600 for a 9 year used kegerator with a leak

+1. I bought a several year old Beverage Air BM-23 which is identical to this True model a few months back for about $250. I put a triple tower on it and yes it will hold 4 cornies. However, the power usage is more than my other two kegerators put together (I use a Kill-a-watt to measure them). There are several nice systems you could buy for new for $600. Most newer kegerators will hold 3 cornies and use far less power.

jon, thats exactly what I needed to hear and the electric was another big concern. Thanks.

Back