Opinion on this starter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
I don't know how the rest of you feel about this kit:

http://www.beermanmicrobrewery.com/starterkit.htm

But, the reason that I went with it is thus:

1. At this point in time I just want to see if I will actually enjoy and keep up with brewing my own beer. I love beer, and this is something I have always wanted to try, so, I thought ehh, I will give it a try.
2. This is a "no boil" kit and I figured it was the best way to go, I still get 5 gal of beer, I will try it out see if I enjoy doing it, and as a beginner, it seems pretty easy.
3. It comes with everything I need, the bottles, fermenter, etc...
4. If it turns out I enjoy doing it, it looks like it is the basic equipment that I will need to really getting into it and boiling the wort and all that. I realize I need to buy a few more things, but hey I will be mostly there.

So I don't know if any of you have ever used this kit before, but I would like to get your opinion and let me know if everything I said is actually logical. Thanks!

kenb said:
I would honestly go with either #2 or #3 (i went with #3) on this page. It is also easily upgradable if you later go with AG brewing.
About all you need to add to this is a brew kettle and a good recipe/ingredients.
http://northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

I happened to have gone with the number two and have since added a number of components.

AFAJ Brew Guy IMHO made the right decision for all the right reasons. He/She will test the waters and if heading deeper is the direction to go, a good base system to build upon is there.

Get the word out to your friends and co-workers you are brewing, it amazes me how often somebody informs me of their brewing activity. I also have scored some equipment from ppl that used to brew and no longer do so.

Good luck

I have saw better deals than this for around the same money....Alot of them come with secondarys, cappers, autosiphons, hydrometer, just some of the stuff that make it a little easier....

http://www.brewbeer.cc/index.php?CustomerID=&ProductID=72&Detail=1

this is a link to my LHBS....He is a great guy and will do his best to work with you.....Let me know what you think of the kit...

Fine place to start. If you don't like the hobby you are not out a lot of dough. If you do like the hobby you can make another batch cheap and easy. Welcome.

Thank everyone. I am really looking forward to getting my first brew going. I just may have the same problem as a lot of of other people, giving it enough time to mature! We will see....

Gammon N Beer - Thanks! The funny thing is I did mention this at work the other day and already have found two other people that are just starting out as well!

Poindexter - Thanks for the welcome! I hope that some day I get good enough at this to answer other people questions.

Thanks All, I will let you know how it turns out! :cool:

Hopped LME won't make the best beer in the world and Muntons is pretty pricey, but its not a bad place to start. But whatever you do, do NOT follow the directions on the Muntons can.

Keep the beer in the bucket for about three weeks, bottle and then keep the beer in bottles at about the same temp that you fermented the beer at for another three weeks.

Bosh said:
Keep the beer in the bucket for about three weeks, bottle and then keep the beer in bottles at about the same temp that you fermented the beer at for another three weeks.

Yeah I had heard that about this kit and the Muntons, to follow the direction that come with the kit and to leave the beer alone for the time you said. I have had a beer made form this kit and enjoyed it. It is kind of what turned me on to the idea.

Back