Opinion on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goss

Reaction score
Longtime brewer new to forum.

I brewed a northernbrewer coffee stout extract kit, added cocoa nibs, abuelita hot chocolate and vanilla beans. It turned out awesome. Trying to improve and make my own extract, perfect then create an all grain version. Below is what I came up with, blending the nrothernbrewer, new holland poet and other recipes to get what I'm looking for. All flavoring agents will be added last 10 minutes then coffee at flameout. Thought?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: 21 Acres Stout
Author: Goss

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Oatmeal Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.169
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.029
ABV (standard): 7.28%
IBU (tinseth): 13.04
SRM (morey): 48.86

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Amber (47.1%)
2 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (15.7%)
2 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (15.7%)
0.5 lb - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (3.9%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.75 lb - American - Chocolate (5.9%)
0.5 lb - American - Black Malt (3.9%)
0.5 lb - American - Roasted Barley (3.9%)
0.5 lb - United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 120L (3.9%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 5.87
1 oz - Glacier, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 7.17

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
8 oz - Cocoa, Time: 10 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
1 oz - Cocoa Nibs, Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil
1 oz - Vanilla Nibs, Time: 10 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
4 oz - Coffee, Time: 0 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Other

YEAST:
Wyeast - London ESB Ale 1968
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 69%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 72 F

All flavoring agents will be added last 10 minutes then coffee at flameout.

I've had good luck with coffee flavor and aroma by adding cold-brewed coffee during secondary, so I am interested in seeing how it turns out for you by adding the coffee in at the end of the boil.

Are you planning on adding whole beans, grounds, brewed coffee?

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really trying to combine all the flavors that i appreciate from Oatmeal, Imperial and Coffee stouts, and weed out the flavors and characteristics i don't like. Once perfected ill convert to an all grain recipe. I have my own hefe recipe but this is my first time trying something this complex and i was concerned about the amount of specialty grains and additives. The northern brewer kit i churched up came out excellent and I'm trying to improve upon it.

I've had good luck with coffee flavor and aroma by adding cold-brewed coffee during secondary, so I am interested in seeing how it turns out for you by adding the coffee in at the end of the boil.

Are you planning on adding whole beans, grounds, brewed coffee?

Look at the Northern Brewer Peace Coffee kit. It comes with 4 ounce package of beans that you let steep for 10 minutes after boil. I did notice the instructions said to grind, but i just used beans and it came out fine. I'm debating on which coffee to use for this one. Either milestone chocolate velvet (I'm nervous about to much Chocolate) or im going to use black rifle coffee company murdered out. Great coffee company vet owned i order online from them. This time i plan to use coarse ground in a grain bag sock. Ill keep this thread posted.

Look at the Northern Brewer Peace Coffee kit. It comes with 4 ounce package of beans that you let steep for 10 minutes after boil. I did notice the instructions said to grind, but i just used beans and it came out fine.

Funny you mention Peace Coffee, as I just recently made the Midwest Supplies Peace Coffee Java Stout kit, which had me brew and add the coffee into secondary

Weird, look at the directions for Northern brewer. Im curious how similar the recipe is.

I would reccomend adding the coffee into the fermentor as whole beans or slightly cracked. IME this works much better than flameout or even cold steep additions. It wil prevent the coffee from becoming astringent later on and also provides a longer lasting coffee character instead of fading after a few months

I would reccomend adding the coffee into the fermentor as whole beans or slightly cracked. IME this works much better than flameout or even cold steep additions. It wil prevent the coffee from becoming astringent later on and also provides a longer lasting coffee character instead of fading after a few months

Thanks for the advice, i may try that. The problem is the one coffee i want to try only comes ground, but perhaps i can just go with the latter.

Latest posts

Back