Opinion on kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is kegging make for better tasting beer?
I've just made the transition to kegging.
I've got an American Amber Ale, and a Pale Ale in kegs, and they are better than anything I've bottled yet.
Does priming sugar alter the taste?
And does force carbonating beer make for a better head vs. priming sugar?
There's a night and day difference between my bottled vs. kegged beer.
I'd like to hear what others think, so please share.

i like kegged beer much better, as priming sugar does alter the taste. if given time, there's not really any difference in the heads, but i force-carbonate sometimes, and can have a keg ready in 2 days.

The head seems to last a bit longer on the beers I bottle, and often they are stiffer. But it could just be a difference between the beers themselves. I haven't tried splitting a batch and bottling some and kegging some. I haven't noticed a great deal of difference in taste, though I am careful when pouring a sugar-primed bottled beer to leave as much sediment as possible in the bottle.

I made the transition to kegging and all-grain at the same time. The beers I make now taste much better than my extract/bottled beers and all my friends who've tasted both agree that it is night and day. I'd bet that the all-grain change made most of the difference but I always felt the carbonation levels on my bottled beers were a bit off. People talk about the "extract twang" taste that you don't get from all-grain but I always thought that twang seemed to come more from my carbonation.

head retention seems better with my kegged beers than it ever did with my bottled. Might have been better skill but I don't think I do things THAT much more different than before.

Back