Opinion on first own lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colrain

Reaction score
I've finally decided to make the plunge and start doing lagers with my newly acquired freezer and temp controller. I'm going for a European lager with a smooth, light malt flavor and a crisp finish. Something that can be drank all night and enjoyed by all. Here's what I have so far. Input and critique (on both recipe and planned fermentation) much appreciated!

5.5 gal batch, 85% efficiency-ish
20.7 IBU 3.3 SRM 4.7% ABV
7lb 1oz German Pils
1lb 12oz Vienna
0.5oz Sorachi Ace 60min
0.5oz Moteuka 5min
90 min mash at 146-148, 90 min boil
2 packs S-23 with standard lager fermentation, 2 weeks at 50, 24 hour d-rest then rack and lager for 6 weeks

The hops are just something I really liked from the Lemon Lime heffe recipe on here.

Could be nice. I'm no lager expert so this is novice advice.

If you're aiming for a "European lager" I would go with noble hop choices. I would worry that the lemon aspect of those hops would make a malty dry lager taste "tangy" which might make it less approachable. Hops like Saaz, Tettnanger, Spalter, Mittelfruh or their American cousins Sterling, Santiam, Crystal, Liberty might be some good choices to pull from.

In terms of your fermentation schedule I would aim to start the D-rest with a few points remaining (1.020 maybe) to help blow off any diacetyl. This may mean 5 days or 10 days depending on how things are progressing.

I can see where a tangy lemon-lime hop characteristic would work well in a hefe but I think you'll find a more mellow, lightly spicy hoppiness more approachable in a pale lager.

Thanks for the input. I can see what you mean about the tangy-ness thing. Do you think I could leave the Sorachi hops in for bittering and just change out the moteuka?

Thanks for the input. I can see what you mean about the tangy-ness thing. Do you think I could leave the Sorachi hops in for bittering and just change out the moteuka?

My gut instinct says: That's probably fine as a bittering addition, but I've never used it and understand it can have some uncommon unique flavors associated with it. A bittering addition should be pretty flavorless after 60 minutes of boil, but there's no guarantee of that. But again, my instinct says you should be fine using as a bittering addition. If you finish your beer with some noble characteristics then it might give some insurance against any of the sorachi ace coming through.

Back