Opinion on crush. First AG tomorrow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystallineEntity

Reaction score
So here's my crush. Barley Crusher set at .035. I'm Batch sparging with a braid. Looks a little fine to me. Bummer is .035 is the biggest feeler I've got. Opinions???

Thanks, Aaron

That's the setting I use, looks a hair coarser than mine - could just be the photo. You could keep a pound of rice hulls in you brew supplies just in case you ever get a stuck sparge but I don't think that grind will cause you any issues.

I use a FB & recirculate so YMMV. Good luck with the first AG.

Thanks Impatient, but that was the 1/2 lb break in for the BC. I've not milled my grain bill yet. I think Sears is still open. Need some bigger gauges.

edit- Totally over thinking this. Just gonna loosen it up a hair and go for it!

-Aaron

Unfortunately, I have never taken a picture of my grain. However, I found one that looks great IMO.

Basically you want the inside(white part) to be intack and with each hull cracked. You might see hulls that look like the are stilll intack, however, if you look closer, they are most likely cracked. Just a crack is enough that the hull will seperate during the mash.

untitled14.bmp

Back