Opinion: Can I brew a Hefe before March 15

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trappist Artist

Reaction score
I am throwing a beer dinner for some friends and I would really like to get in one more beer for the dinner. Here's the schedule I am planning:

3/1 Brew day: Get the beer into the primary fermenter.
3/2-12 Keep beer in 6.5 carboy.
3/12 Put beer into corny kegs and force carbonate
3/15 Drink!

I am planning on makeing a 1.040 - 1.050 beer (hefe) using white labs yeast fermented around 67 degrees.

So, is this way too short to get drinkable beer? Should I lower the OG? Any comments would be appriciated

I actually think you could pull this off, but only because you are dealing with a hefeweizen. Keep it on the low end of the OG, though. There's a big difference between 1.040 and 1.050 when you are dealing with this short of a window.

I certainly make no guarantees, but it really could happen. The worst case is that you have a nice hefeweizen waiting for you the next weekend. :)

TL

You can do it and I have. I brewed a Hefeweizen last year that I kegged after 7 days, carbonated in 3 days, and was drinking after 10 days total. It was yeastier than I would've prefered, but it was doable. Maybe try cold storing it for a day before kegging...

I think you could do it no problem especially since you keg. Control fermentation temps so that you can get full attenuation and undesired off flavors. Also, a good starter would be advisable.

Beerrific said:
I think you could do it no problem especially since you keg. Control fermentation temps so that you can get full attenuation and undesired off flavors. Also, a good starter would be advisable.

+1 on the starter, you dont want to lose 2-3 days in lag time in this short of a time window.

Unfortunatly, I won't have time for a starter since I am brewing tomorrow. I could buy some more yeast though.

Would it be better to buy a smack pack and then give the yeast a solid 3-4 hour head start?

Trappist Artist said:
Unfortunatly, I won't have time for a starter since I am brewing tomorrow. I could buy some more yeast though.

Would it be better to buy a smack pack and then give the yeast a solid 3-4 hour head start?

Make the starter when you get home later...

I made a Blood Orange Hefe that started at 1.050, and went down to 1.014 by day 10. Kegged by setting at 35psi for 36hours. Great beer after carbed. Yeast was a bit strong with the clove/phenolic, but was pretty good that way. Even the Coors light drinkers are tearing into this beer!!!

i'm force carbing a hefe for a party myself. it spent 3 weeks in the primary, tho. should be ready by tomorrow night. i've got it at about 35PSI and shaking every once in a while...

Hefe's a friggin great. You should have no problems gettinga Hefe ready for a party on 3/15.

Sweet, about 35 psi for 36 hours... I'm kinda new to keggin so that's real helpful. Thanks for all the encouragement too!

Just an update,
Racked the beer over to a keg on 3/12. It tasted a little yeasty, but all in all not terrible.

I'll let you guys know who it is recieved this Saturday!

Good luck with your beer, hope it is tasty and everyone has a fun and safe time
:mug:

But remember if you don't like it I will take it and dispose of it for ya....

Final update!

The beer was really good, nice and clovey with out too much of that yeasty flavor. I thought this beer turned out a little on the sweet side (maybe it didn't finish off). People liked it but not as much as some paler english styles that I brewed.

All in all I think this was a sucess!

Who says you can't have darn drinkable beer in well under 3 weeks.

As allways thanks for the support!

Back