Opening a Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperSaint

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster to homebrewtalk. I'm an American who's been living in Tokyo for about 5 years. I've been brewing for about two years, half of that all-grain, and am part of the small, but vibrant homebrew community over here.

I have a problem and need help. I have a friend in finance who has come into some land in Japan with a pure water source. Said friend wants to open a craft brewery, and has asked me to manage it. Now, my immediate thought was that I'm not qualified, being an amateur homebrewer at best with my measly 2 years of experience. That being said, however, I can't let an opportunity like this to change careers into something I'm actually passionate about pass me by.

Let's assume for the moment that the money aspect is taken care of, and forget the special permits and licenses needed to open a brewery in Japan. Fellow brewers, what advice would you give me? What do I need to find out? What kind of equipment will I need? What kind of personnel will I need? What kind of beer lineup would you create? What recipes would you use? Any and all suggestions welcome! :)

I would first hire a consultant whom has extenstive experience in the brewing industry to help get the equipment in and to train you how to brew on a commercial scale.
It wouldnt be hard to find someone to move to Japan for a year or two.

Or at the very least, leave this homebrew website and go over to a website dedicated to professional brewers, such as www.probrewer.com.

Is there a local brewery that you can go to and pick their brain? Most brewers would be happy to assist.

Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster to homebrewtalk. I'm an American who's been living in Tokyo for about 5 years. I've been brewing for about two years, half of that all-grain, and am part of the small, but vibrant homebrew community over here.

I have a problem and need help. I have a friend in finance who has come into some land in Japan with a pure water source. Said friend wants to open a craft brewery, and has asked me to manage it. Now, my immediate thought was that I'm not qualified, being an amateur homebrewer at best with my measly 2 years of experience. That being said, however, I can't let an opportunity like this to change careers into something I'm actually passionate about pass me by.

Let's assume for the moment that the money aspect is taken care of, and forget the special permits and licenses needed to open a brewery in Japan. Fellow brewers, what advice would you give me? What do I need to find out? What kind of equipment will I need? What kind of personnel will I need? What kind of beer lineup would you create? What recipes would you use? Any and all suggestions welcome! :)

Well, once you get into all grain the difference is really a matter of scale. The only thing I can think of that is really different from a recipe perspective is you need fewer hops and will get better utilization. Apparently Beersmith is becoming popular for some micros and will have more functionality there. Some of the equipment will be intimidating at first. Conical fermenters are scary looking compared to plastic buckets, but its really the same thing once you get used to it. Conicals just have a little more functionality. What kind of demand are you expecting? A 7 bbl system is usually enough for a brewpub to give you some perspective. If funding isn't too big of an issue there are plenty of packages that would include everything.

The recipes you use in Japan would really be dependent on the culture. Craft brewing in Germany is different than craft brewing in Britain, which is different than craft brewing in America. That is just in western countries. Japan is probably radically different.

I've never had a Japanese Beer I really liked. Being said, I think all of them have been lagers, so the brewing recipes/beer styles will be drastically different than say if I were to open a brewpub in KC. Find styles the people will buy. Just cause you like Big Hoppy IIPA's doesn't mean your customers will.

As stated, seems I read a lot on here of people with brew pubs using a 7 bbl system, seems pretty common. I read of one using a 3 bbl sysyem, they had to brew every 3 days to keep up, and their building only allowed for like 70 people if I remember correctly.

It's also different than home brewing in your recipe's have to be consistent. If you brew and establish a SuperSaint Pale Ale, next time you brew it you can't just change the hop schedule cause you feel like it to see what happens. So your creativity gets killed.

Being said, I would always have 1 or 2 "Specialty Taps" for my more creative messing around brews.

Good luck.

A thought - a homebrew is what you make to please yourself. A microbrew has to be sold. One set of microbrewers made what they though were awesome beers and got permission to have samples at a local bar to test them. Everyone thought that they were awful because they weren't used to fuller body and more hoppy flavors.

My point - know your market before you brew your beer. What sort of beer will do well there. I think iv was making that point also that craft beer is different country to country (heck county to county?). And GOOD LUCK!

Thanks everyone. I was a little nervous posting here since it's a little off-topic from homebrewing, but these are all great suggestions/comments! You guys rock! :rockin:

I would first hire a consultant whom has extenstive experience in the brewing industry to help get the equipment in and to train you how to brew on a commercial scale.

I was pretty sure I'd need professional help but now I'm 100% sure I'll need it :p Going to try to see if I can find a consultant domestically first, then see if I can bring someone over if that doesn't work out.

Is there a local brewery that you can go to and pick their brain? Most brewers would be happy to assist.

Good idea! I'll try to scope out some friendly-looking micro breweries over here to see if they'll give me a helping hand. Time for a field trip!!

Well, once you get into all grain the difference is really a matter of scale. The only thing I can think of that is really different from a recipe perspective is you need fewer hops and will get better utilization. Apparently Beersmith is becoming popular for some micros and will have more functionality there. Some of the equipment will be intimidating at first. Conical fermenters are scary looking compared to plastic buckets, but its really the same thing once you get used to it. Conicals just have a little more functionality. What kind of demand are you expecting? A 7 bbl system is usually enough for a brewpub to give you some perspective. If funding isn't too big of an issue there are plenty of packages that would include everything.

The recipes you use in Japan would really be dependent on the culture. Craft brewing in Germany is different than craft brewing in Britain, which is different than craft brewing in America. That is just in western countries. Japan is probably radically different.

Ah, I didn't even think about using Beersmith for this! I've been tinkering around with it for my own homebrewing for the last year. I'll play around with it and see how it works scaled up.

Not sure about size/demand yet. The land is very much out in the boonies, so I think we'll be focusing more on a brewery that does mostly non-onsite sales (package brewery?).

Good point with the culture, although I don't think it will be too far off the mark compared to American craft. Craft beers from the US getting pretty popular over here. That being said, I will definitely need to do some taste tests to make sure the beer fits with the Japanese palates.

It's also different than home brewing in your recipe's have to be consistent. If you brew and establish a SuperSaint Pale Ale, next time you brew it you can't just change the hop schedule cause you feel like it to see what happens. So your creativity gets killed.

Being said, I would always have 1 or 2 "Specialty Taps" for my more creative messing around brews.

You're right, I'm going to have to hammer out some recipes that I will be happy with and won't want to change too much after starting production. Great idea about the specialty taps to help keep creativity in the mix!

My point - know your market before you brew your beer. What sort of beer will do well there. I think iv was making that point also that craft beer is different country to country (heck county to county?).

Good point, will need to do extensive taste testing. Thanks!

Howdy fellow Japan resident.

First of all, good luck! When you get up and running let me know and I'll make sure to go for a drink next time I'm in the area. Also, I'm sure the Hiroshima Beer Fest people would be happy to have another brewery attend, so I can give you their contact information if you're interested in heading down here.

If I'm not mistaken, Advanced Brewing advertise on their site that they do brewing consultation. Might try dropping them a line.

I'm sure you know about Baird Brewing in Numazu, Shizuoka. You might contact him and drop by (it's only an hour and change from Tokyo if you take the shinkansen) and pick his brain about the trials and tribulations about being a non-Japanese brewer in Japan.

From my experience in the craft brew community down here in Hiroshima, you'll definitely need a pilsner to sell to the general populace. Most breweries seem to do a pale ale or a weizen (is that "wheat beer" in English?) for the second beer, and I see a lot of stouts. But hey, that's what everyone else is doing. If you can put something interesting out there that isn't being done you could make a hit.

I'm looking forward to see how you do. Keep us updated! And let me know if you're looking for staff. ;)

I admire your enthusiasm, you have a great opportunity I think you are getting your ducks in line too instead of just jumping in un-prepared. Japans culture is rich they have a lot of history but they are VERY accepting to new ideas especially in the younger generations. If you are going to be making a few different selections make sure you guys have a good marketing manager in line. Someone who can couple tradition with the next big thing. Who knows maybe you put a good IIPA on the market and they like it, next thing you know you guys get so blown up that you have to expand your production. As the brewer dont get bogged down in the business end of it, if you are going to brew, brew. Wearing too many hats is a sure fired way to get burnt out on it.

I admire your enthusiasm, you have a great opportunity I think you are getting your ducks in line too instead of just jumping in un-prepared. Japans culture is rich they have a lot of history but they are VERY accepting to new ideas especially in the younger generations. If you are going to be making a few different selections make sure you guys have a good marketing manager in line. Someone who can couple tradition with the next big thing. Who knows maybe you put a good IIPA on the market and they like it, next thing you know you guys get so blown up that you have to expand your production. As the brewer dont get bogged down in the business end of it, if you are going to brew, brew. Wearing too many hats is a sure fired way to get burnt out on it.

This is a great point. If any Asian country is willing to embrace aspects of Western culture its Japan.

Howdy fellow Japan resident.

First of all, good luck! When you get up and running let me know and I'll make sure to go for a drink next time I'm in the area. Also, I'm sure the Hiroshima Beer Fest people would be happy to have another brewery attend, so I can give you their contact information if you're interested in heading down here.

If I'm not mistaken, Advanced Brewing advertise on their site that they do brewing consultation. Might try dropping them a line.

I'm sure you know about Baird Brewing in Numazu, Shizuoka. You might contact him and drop by (it's only an hour and change from Tokyo if you take the shinkansen) and pick his brain about the trials and tribulations about being a non-Japanese brewer in Japan.

From my experience in the craft brew community down here in Hiroshima, you'll definitely need a pilsner to sell to the general populace. Most breweries seem to do a pale ale or a weizen (is that "wheat beer" in English?) for the second beer, and I see a lot of stouts. But hey, that's what everyone else is doing. If you can put something interesting out there that isn't being done you could make a hit.

I'm looking forward to see how you do. Keep us updated! And let me know if you're looking for staff. ;)

Thanks for the tip about Advanced Brewing! I never noticed that they do brewing consultation (always too busy skipping to the ingredients section of the site).

Yes, I'm very familiar with Baird Brewing. I live close to one of their taprooms in Tokyo. I really respect what they've done with their beers both in terms of quality and balance, as well as their particular "East meets West" kind of design. I will definitely be contacting them for advice, etc. once this venture gets on its feet. I'm trying to be prepared, but also not counting my chickens before they've hatched.

A pilsner, huh? Is the style particularly loved in Hiroshima, or just scarce?

I'll definitely let you know if we get up and going and need some more people!

Being in Japan do you realize how much $$$ you can save by not having to import your new equipment into the US??? Haha

But seriously once the microbrewery is off the ground you should rub shoulders with some shipping company execs and start hooking up HBT members with imports!

I highly recommend you take online courses from Siebel. A microbrewery is much more than homebrewing with big kettles. Their website is siebelinstitute.com

I highly recommend you take online courses from Siebel. A microbrewery is much more than homebrewing with big kettles. Their website is siebelinstitute.com

+1. Do not, repeat, do not mention your homebrew experience when you apply for licensing. They totally frown on it (because it is illegal over 1%). You will need some type of practical experience.

Strictly package sales from the countryside? Better do some research and run the numbers on sales and margin on your own brew pub.

Do you speak Japanese? Or your partner? Someone has to get out and really hustle to sell your product. That is what is all about.

Definitely talk to Brian. He'll tell you the real lowdown. He says if he knew how hard it would have been to get to where he is now, he wouldn't have done it. But being where he is now, it's exciting. It's a lot of sacrifice and you have to want it. My hat is off to Brian because he has poured his heart into his brew and you can taste it. Very few people can match his dedication to the craft.

You should also check with Scott Brimmer at Brimmer Brewing. New brewery just opening. Maybe he needs a deck hand.

Good luck. Keep your eyes very very open.

It's less that Pilsners are particularly popular here in Hiroshima but more just something I've noticed about most of the breweries around here; everybody makes a Pilsner. I've always assumed it was because to most Japanese people beer is Pilsner and that makes it an easier sell.

I have an extensive history of drinking craft beer my whole life.

If you need a consultant to help you evaluate the quality of your product please PM me about travel arrangements and consulting fees. :mug:

Being in Japan do you realize how much $$$ you can save by not having to import your new equipment into the US??? Haha

Really? Is a lot of the professional brewing equipment made in Japan? Again, it just shows me how much more I need to research this!

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into their online courses.

+1. Do not, repeat, do not mention your homebrew experience when you apply for licensing. They totally frown on it (because it is illegal over 1%). You will need some type of practical experience.

Strictly package sales from the countryside? Better do some research and run the numbers on sales and margin on your own brew pub.

Do you speak Japanese? Or your partner? Someone has to get out and really hustle to sell your product. That is what is all about.

Definitely talk to Brian. He'll tell you the real lowdown. He says if he knew how hard it would have been to get to where he is now, he wouldn't have done it. But being where he is now, it's exciting. It's a lot of sacrifice and you have to want it. My hat is off to Brian because he has poured his heart into his brew and you can taste it. Very few people can match his dedication to the craft.

You should also check with Scott Brimmer at Brimmer Brewing. New brewery just opening. Maybe he needs a deck hand.

Good luck. Keep your eyes very very open.

Good realistic advice. I will definitely be mum on the topic of homebrewing. As with all homebrewers in Japan, I'm brewing under the informal rule of "as long as you don't sell it, you'll probably be ok."

Financials, sales, marketing, and distribution will all be things I'll be looking into, although it will be a little while before delving into the nitty-gritty of these topics. I'm still just looking at a very high-level picture and trying to spot any red flags or things to keep in mind.

I've talked to Brian on several occasions and have a very high respect for him. IMHO, I think he's one of the big reasons that the craft beer movement is surging in Japan and, if anything, he's paved the way for more microbreweries, etc. I've heard about Brimmer Brewing and sampled some of their beers at the Nippon Craft Beer Festival this year, but I don't know a whole lot about them. I'll try reaching out to Scott once plans solidify a bit.

I have an extensive history of drinking craft beer my whole life.

If you need a consultant to help you evaluate the quality of your product please PM me about travel arrangements and consulting fees. :mug:

Wouldn't that be the best job? :rockin:

Back