Opened the first bottle on my first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubapoet

Reaction score
My goal was that it was drinkable. I can walk before I run...

What I did wrong:
1. I pitched the yeast while the wort was too hot
2. only fermented 1 week
3. FG was too high 1.025

But... like this forum taught me RDW so after 2 weeks in bottles I wanted to taste now to tell the difference after 3 weeks when I think it should be ready.

Tastes like a standard Amber Ale... supposed to be a porter though.
Drinkable enough I want to open another bottle or two... you know for comparison :mug: :D

I may give this hobby another 10-20 years and then reevaluate

Botteling that early you may be waiting 6+weeks before its porter-time.Hopefully you reached a finished gravity at 7 days? I would keep an eye on carbonation if it wasnt finished,given time bottles may burst .

I'd be worried about bottle bombs if you bottled at 1.025. If you start getting gushers when you open them, you might want to crack the caps of all the bottles to relieve pressure and re-cap.

I just waited 10 weeks for my average gravity stout to carb and taste like a stout-tonight-man its worth the wait and i was a little worried it wouldnt get much better. I had some vanilla in it at my lhbs that i think may have been on the shelf for quite some time because it had a weird taste,should have known when i split it and was mush and smelled like licorice-tossed em,next time getting fresh ones at the food coop.

I definitely second popping the caps and recapping. If you don't your bottles may even crack and that is a mess.

Back