opened my first batch!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuiceyJay

Reaction score
Cracked open my very first small batch of beer this last weekend and I must say I was VERY pleased with the way it turned out! Carbonation seemed perfect, color was good, very hoppy yet very smooth.

Brewed from an extract kit (1.25 gallons, 12 bottles) and instead of dry hopping with the calypso pellet hops it came with, I used an ounce of fresh citra hops.

New batches to be made soon!

IMAG0033.jpg

Congrats!

Now get yourself some 5 gallon batch equipment and brew 50 bottles at a time!

Wish I had a5 gallon batch of this since it came out good :p.

I nee too find a mactarnahans "lipstinger" red clone kit. Favorite beer.

Looks good. I opened the second beer (after 3 weeks in the bottle) last night. I opened the first at two weeks, then the second at three weeks to see what the difference it makes (if any), the difference was astonishing. The beer last night was much better than the one I opened last week. Next week I'll open the third and probabaly put some in the fridge for consumption. It's been hard to wai, but I think it will be well worth the wait. Once I get the first batch in the pipeline, I've got three more batches right behind it so it looks like 2013 will be a very happy new year!

Now you're going to find yourself dreaming of that next batch, putting brew toys on your Christmas wishlist and pelting everyone with beer facts. You'll find a way to pepper conversations with words like lovibond, saccharomyces, and oxidation. You have been bitten, welcome to world of the brewing fanatic.

Wish I had a5 gallon batch of this since it came out good :p.

Ahh... A natural progression my friend. At some point you ask yourself the question, "If I have to dedicate a day to brewing, I should brew as much as I can, right"? For me, it was 5 gallon then 10 gallons and now I'm trying to adjust my setup for 20 gallons. Anyway, it looks great. Congrats!

>>You have been bitten, welcome to world of the brewing fanatic.<<

LOL. My wife bought me a kit because she said I was driving her crazy and she thought it would give me something to occupy my time. Little did she know she created a monster! I have my first batch conditioning (will be ready next weekend, hopefully) and two fermenting. When I come home from work in the evening the first thing I do is check my beer! :D

Ragingbull, start brewing the next one now--can't tell you how many times I've found my back against a wall because I thought I had plenty of reserves, then suddenly found myself with a stock of 20-25 beers and nothing in the pipeline, at least six weeks away from the next infusion of homebrews. Is it the sign of a problem that that causes me to break out in a cold sweat?

In the immortal words of Jack White, "Be like the squirrel--", store it up now!

Good work! I was at that point back in July. Now we have 5 different homebrews in the fridge, 2 bottle conditioning, and 2 batches planned for Saturday. Hope you continue your success!

My wife works every other weekend. On her work weekends is when I brew. Funny thing is she comes home and finds another fermenter or new bottles in the walk-in closet (AKA the fermentation chamber). There are also a ton of home brewing books to read, for those hours otherwise wasted not brewing.

I nee too find a mactarnahans "lipstinger" red clone kit. Favorite beer.

Eventually, you'll find "favorite beer" to be a relative term. :) There are just so dang many amazing beers out there.

Congrats on the first batch. It's always good when your first batch turns out great. If you're hooked, definitely look into a 5 gallon kit...same amount of work, 5 times the beer! Woot!

Ragingbull, start brewing the next one now--can't tell you how many times I've found my back against a wall because I thought I had plenty of reserves.

Heed these words of wisdom Ragingbull. There's nothing worse than an empty fridge.

My first batch extract kit was successful in January of this year and 11 months later I just ordered 250 lbs of malted barley! That is how quickly this obsession can take over your life!!!!

I see your next up is a cascade pale ale J. I gotta put 12 in the fridge tomorrow afternoon for turkey day. It smelled great & tasted like fresh hops at bottling time. Can't wait to taste the results. Only 15 days in the bottles at that point,but can't be helped. But I've had pale ales ready in that time before that were all extract. 5 days fridge time should adequate. The rest will sit at room temp for another week or two.
And to think Jan of last year I was doing simplest of extracts with the Cooper's kit I got with my micro brew kit from them. Now my latest is a partial mash. Def a progressive disease! :tank:

I see your next up is a cascade pale ale J. I gotta put 12 in the fridge tomorrow afternoon for turkey day. It smelled great & tasted like fresh hops at bottling time. Can't wait to taste the results. Only 15 days in the bottles at that point,but can't be helped. But I've had pale ales ready in that time before that were all extract. 5 days fridge time should adequate. The rest will sit at room temp for another week or two.
And to think Jan of last year I was doing simplest of extracts with the Cooper's kit I got with my micro brew kit from them. Now my latest is a partial mash. Def a progressive disease! :tank:

Union: for someone only been brewing that long you sure have a lot of posts on here!
Dry hopped pale ale is definitely one of my favorite brews. I now brew it every third batch.

jerrodm said:
Ragingbull, start brewing the next one now--can't tell you how many times I've found my back against a wall because I thought I had plenty of reserves, then suddenly found myself with a stock of 20-25 beers and nothing in the pipeline, at least six weeks away from the next infusion of homebrews. Is it the sign of a problem that that causes me to break out in a cold sweat?

In the immortal words of Jack White, "Be like the squirrel--", store it up now!

I've got one conditioning, two fermenting,one of which will be bottling Saturday, and I will start a new batch Saturday or Sunday.

Back