Opened Mead - Shelf Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
I got a little bonus this week and decided to buy some special brews. One of them was some Dansk Mjod Viking Blood Mead. it's a 750 ml bottle and it's 19% abv. This is way too much for me to drink at one time. My question is if I open it, how long would I have to drink it? Would the high abv allow it to stay open for a little while, or would a couple days be my limit? Thanks.

Personally, if I can't do it in one sitting it's not getting opened...;):ban:

It'll last a while...weeks even. I have several bottles of meads and ciders opened (re-capped) just sitting on top of the kegerator. It won't go bad. ;)

Thanks, y'all. I went ahead and cracked it open. Cold front came through today and it's a good night to sit on the front porch and sip some mead. Probably same tomorrow night and the next.

I've had traditional meads that were still good after being open for more than 3 weeks in the fridge - try finding a wine that can do that.

Tonight it may get into the 50s here - better break out the space heater - Brrrr....

another vote for the inexpensive hand pumps and corks that let you reduce the air inside the bottle. that and drinking it over a few short days peroid, I wouldn't expect oxidation.

NECROMANCY!

So, I had a half bottle of this with just the cork stuck in it in the bottom of my lawyers bar. It's probably been in there for three years or so.

I wanted to check out the bottle to see if I could reuse it. Poured a little shot of the liquid to check it out.

Still good.

Back