Opened another set of eyes today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkwolf

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, I was put in charge of planning an office BBQ for my coworkers, which we did tonight after work. (Aside: Turned into a freaking FEAST - for the 10 coworkers that showed up and their spouses, we had 4 racks of ribs, two smoked chickens, and a full brisket we had smoked yesterday. Plus salads, bars, etc.)

Since it was an office event, I told everyone it was BYOB, and while the employee manual has specific provisions about alcohol, it is not uncommon for at 4:00 on a Friday, a 12-pack to get opened in the break room, and engineers to be sitting at their desk with a can next to their keyboard.

About a month ago, our accountant made a pot of coffee to her liking. That stuff was so strong, even the guys that call decaf "useless warm brown water" wouldn't touch it. I tried a mug of it, and knew what I had to do.... Asked her later that morning if she had ever tried an IPA, figuring if she liked her coffee that bitter, an IPA would be right up her alley. She's always been a beer drinker, but hadn't ventured too far outside of the "American Pale Lager" world.

So, today over lunch I hit up the HyVee down the road from the office, and grabbed a mix-6 pack, including a bottle of Boulevard's Single Wide IPA - and told her I'd have a bottle for her. (Although I didn't bring any of my beer glasses along, so she had to drink straight from the bottle). Cracked it open for her, she took the first pull...

....and her eyes lit up. "Hey, this is GOOD!" Made me wish I had picked up a 6er of it for her. But I'm betting she'll have a pack in her fridge by the end of the week.

(And before you get the wrong idea, her husband was standing next to her the whole time, and she has tried setting me up with her daughter. I wasn't trying to dip the pen in the company ink)

Nice missionary work! I frequently bring homebrews to work, hoping to open my colleagues eyes to the fact that there is more to beer than mass-produced pilseners.

Nice story...tell it to reader's digest! Feeling claustrophobic,like the walls are closing in...wort stains on my hands,& I don't know where I've been. I'm in trouble for the kits I haven't got to yet...I'm sharpening my skills,& my glass is getting wet. :D Nice work. Another BMC'r bites the dust!:tank:

Nice story...tell it to reader's digest! Feeling claustrophobic,like the walls are closing in...wort stains on my hands,& I don't know where I've been. I'm in trouble for the kits I haven't got to yet...I'm sharpening my skills,& my glass is getting wet. :D Nice work. Another BMC'r bites the dust!:tank:

That is the weirdest random Megadeth reference I have ever seen. Well done.

Classic! haha

Good job OP!
If i had a dollar everytime i tried to turn someone onto craft and got snoby remarks!! A cheers to you for your success!

Back