Op Overkill....AKA motorize my mill!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing Nut

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I am back to brewing after a hiatus of nearly a year from brewing. Not to worry I had 5 corny kegs to keep me and my friends in beer for a while. It was a good thing that we had Half Pints nice and close to us so we could get good fresh beer when we needed it. The Little Scrapper IPA fresh from the brewery was amazing!

So back to the subject at hand, I had some extra time and materials and decided to finally finish my grain mill. I am really bad at photo essays so I only have pictures taken after the parts where built and ready for install. I used the mill to make a couple of batches before building this hopper and station but I thought you all might enjoy my build. I will try to explane the processes as best I can.

I built the mill a couple of years ago. I built it around two 8" "short cuts" of 2.5" diameter 304 stainless round bar. I trued them up and bored them out to accept a 5/8ths shaft. After I knurled them with a fine diamond cut in order to assist pulling the grains down into between the rollers. After it was completed I pressed the shafts in and ran a small bead with the TIG welder to ensure they stayed put.

I also made some bushings out of high density plastic to keep the steel from cutting into the aluminium side plates.

I made an eccentric out of a 3" diameter stainless off cuts 3/4" thick. Mounting them off center in the chuck allowed me to bore them out to accept a ball bearing race. I then mounted a couple of 6"X4" 1/2" plates and bored them out to accept the eccentric and the bearing race on the non driven side. I then took the plates and drilled out some 1/4" holes for some stainless dowel pins. I did drill a couple of holes to possible mount a side frame but decided against it in favour of a base plate setup.

The next step was to mill out the base plate from 1/2" aluminium. I used a milling machine to make the opening. I also drilled holes for the bolts and dowel pins to attach the side plates.

I then took some .020" aluminium and rolled it to match the shape of the rollers. I then bent it back at an angle to bolt under the mill. This prevents the grain from escaping from the mill .

Here is the mill all together.

To be continued......

Wing Nut

Latest posts

Back