Oops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poisonivie01

Reaction score
I started 2 new runs of mead this weekend and couldnt figure out where all my honey went. Come to find out my scales were off so my 1 gallon recipe called for 3lbs and it actually got about 4.5lbs and my 3 gallon one called for 6 pounds and got about 7.5 pounds. My question here is will the extra honey screw anything up or should it ferment ok and mabey turn out really sweet lol.

UseMe.jpg
A) Get hydrometer.
B) Use this calculator BatchBuildr - MeadMakr

3 gallons with 7.5 pounds would produce about 11.5 abv if going completely dry.

Your 4.5 pound gallon would have a SG of 1.154 or so and just north of 20% ABV if fermented dry. Very near the range that mosts yeasts really cant handle it without getting stressed and throwing lots of off flavors and or stalling without temperature nearer the high end of the recommended, pH adjustment, step feeding, good nutrient protocol and lots of aeration early on.

Im not saying it cant be done just difficult without a lot of the above.

I would encourage you to split it and add water to each part to a more reasonable SG. Somerhing nearer 1.100 or less.

Your 4.5 pound gallon would have a SG of 1.154 or so and just north of 20% ABV if fermented dry. Very near the range that mosts yeasts really cant handle it without getting stressed and throwing lots of off flavors and or stalling without temperature nearer the high end of the recommended, pH adjustment, step feeding, good nutrient protocol and lots of aeration early on.

Im not saying it cant be done just difficult without a lot of the above.

I would encourage you to split it and add water to each part to a more reasonable SG.

Back