Oops...Yeast Wash with Tap Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
So...I reclaimed some of my yeast cake and filled up half a sanitized growler with it, topped it off with tap water, and threw it in the fridge. Then I realized, oh crap, I topped it off with tap water instead of boiled water! Oops.

I did let the tap run for 5-10 seconds, and it's delicious NYC water.

What do you think? Should I dump the whole thing, or are the chances pretty good that I'm in the clear here?

Well, I haven't really gone through the washing steps yet. I basically just filled up 1/2 a growler with yeast cake and topped it off with water and threw it in the fridge intending to properly "wash" it later. But I guess what I'm wondering is if it's even worth the trouble, or if I likely contaminated it already.

Well, I haven't really gone through the washing steps yet. I basically just filled up 1/2 a growler with yeast cake and topped it off with water and threw it in the fridge intending to properly "wash" it later. But I guess what I'm wondering is if it's even worth the trouble, or if I likely contaminated it already.

I honestly don't know. If it's been mixed with the trub for a long period of time, it might not be very good. I would smell it and see if it has a "fecal" smell to it, and then throw it away if it does. I've never saved trub, so I don't know how long the yeast would be viable in it.

I was harvesting yeast from a Brooklyn Brewing Local One and accidentally put a few mls (20-30) of tap water into the bottle while I was cooling a starter down. Went ahead and pitched it and it still turned out fine. Although I still washed and stored it in boiled water. I bet it will be fine but I would probably wash it again in bioled water just to be safe.

Back