Oops too much Irish Moss?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
I just discovered that what I thought was a teaspoon was a tablespoon so I used 2 tablespoons of Irish Moss instead of 2 teaspoons during the last 10 mins of my boil yesterday? I figure it's not a big deal am I wrong?

When and if I remember, I put a bunch in the palm of my hand, and drop it in....never had an issue. Homebrewing is more like cooking or Jazz, than baking or doing chemistry, most of the time, precise measurements are not crucial. Especially where moss is concerned.

Once the Irish moss has done it's job, extra doesn't matter. In fact, the package I have recommends about half as much as most recipes, 1 tsp per 5 gallons.

I recently started using whirlfloc which is basically a concentrate of the ingredient that does the work in Irish moss.

It is like using 10 times the amount if Irish moss and I have had no issues so far! It is amazing to see how much "stuff" comes out of the beer!

I recently started using whirlfloc which is basically a concentrate of the ingredient that does the work in Irish moss.

It is like using 10 times the amount if Irish moss and I have had no issues so far! It is amazing to see how much "stuff" comes out of the beer!

+1 to that kevin...

I just made my first batch using a clearing agent-- used whirlfloc per the recommendation of my LHBS... works like a charm. I let my hyrdometer sample sit in the cylinder and it was clear by the time I finished cleaning up. MAGIC

+1 to that kevin...

I just made my first batch using a clearing agent-- used whirlfloc per the recommendation of my LHBS... works like a charm. I let my hyrdometer sample sit in the cylinder and it was clear by the time I finished cleaning up. MAGIC

Without trying to hi-jack this thread, what LHBS do you but from if you don't mind me asking?

I've been making the drive to Hillsboro and patronizing BrewBrothers, I love 'em!

Back