Oops to much dextrose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickman

Reaction score
So this is what happened. I have currently just finished bottling my first homebrew kit and I think I screwed it up already and didn’t notice until I realized I had about 9 500ml bottles extra. The problem is when racking from primary fermenter to my secondary fermenter I left way to much liquid behind because I was afraid of picking up to much sediment off the bottom with the siphon hose. I didn’t think it was that much at the time but actually works out to 3.5 litres I left behind. Now what the directions called for when bottling was to add this packet of dextrose to the bucket with a cup of boiling water the mix together then add the “beer” if you can call it that yet. Then finally bottling which I did already. So what I am wandering is my beer pooched because the packet of dextrose was supposed to be added to 23 litres of liquid not 19.5 Should I start over again or can I save this somehow?

It will be a bit more carbonated than usual. If you have used bottles designed for home brew then i don't think it will be a problem but if you have reused thin glass commertial bottles i would be more concerned about bottle bombs.

There are online calculators that will tell you how much carbonstion you get for how much dextrose and how much beer.

It will be a bit more carbonated than usual. If you have used bottles designed for home brew then i don't think it will be a problem but if you have reused thin glass commertial bottles i would be more concerned about bottle bombs.

There are online calculators that will tell you how much carbonstion you get for how much dextrose and how much beer.

??? I don't know about the OP's 500ml bottles, but the brown 12 ounce bottles that I bought for my first 2 batches are exactly the same as brown bottles that commercial craft beers come in. Most people get their bottles by drinking craft beers then de-labeling and reusing.

added: OH, I see you are in New Zealand. It may be different there.

Yeah didnt realise what you guys have but the single use bottles here are really thin but the reusable ones sold to homebrewers are definitly way more solid.
The few craft beer bottles i have are better than the mass market beer ones though

Last edited:
I use both commercial US 355ml (12oz) bottles and around five dozen larger 650ml (22oz) bottles from the brew shop.
The quality of the smaller commercial bottles varies a bit as some are thinner than others, so they're usually primed with less sugar. I usually carb near 2.5 - 2.7 volCO2.
The caveat is I don't prime in the bucket anymore, I put the sugar straight into the bottle and cap.

I use both commercial US 355ml (12oz) bottles and around five dozen larger 650ml (22oz) bottles from the brew shop.
The quality of the smaller commercial bottles varies a bit as some are thinner than others, so they're usually primed with less sugar. I usually carb near 2.5 - 2.7 volCO2.
The caveat is I don't prime in the bucket anymore, I put the sugar straight into the bottle and cap.
Great that is useful info thank you!

Thanks! They are brand new bottles and feel pretty hefty so hopefully I will be ok.

A few comments:

1. When they are ready to drink put one in the fridge for 48 hours.
2. After 48 hours, take it outside and slowly open it letting out the gas (Co2).
3. You will know really quickly whether you have a gusher (ie: beer gushes out of the top) or just a very over carbonated beer.

NOTE: If you have a gusher you can mitigate it by slowly releasing the Co2 without fully removing the cap. In other words, be careful! Once you release the majority of the Co2, remove the cap, and pour at least a half glass immediately. Even on over-carbonated beers this should provide enough headspace for both the glass and what's left in the bottle to expand.

Been there, done that. You should, in my opinion, add the sugar (table sugar) directly to the bottle to avoid in the future. There are mixed opinions on the bottle carb'ing process though ... so there's that.

great thanks! I am interested in the table sugar right to the bottle. Is there a standard amount you should add? Any tips?

I tried bottle priming once.... With carbonation tabs. Even with a tab per bottle, it sucked. It is so much easier to siphon to a bottling bucket. If you don't know how much you are going to get you can add the sugar solution after siphoning. If you are pretty sure on your volume you can add the sugar solution while siphoning. That mixes the sugar well.

Back