oops.. Sanitized water in the carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
I just siphoned the beer that had been fermenting for a week in the primary and put it in to my secondary to dry hop. I filled my tubing with sanitized water in order to start the siphon, only i made the stupid mistake of dumping it directly into the secondary carboy along with the rest of the beer which followed it. I was using Iodophor to sanitize. Does anyone know if this will ruin my beer??

Not sure, i'll leave that up for someone else to answer. But, I suggest purchasing an Auto-Siphon. They are relatively cheap, super easy to use and you won't have to worry about this happening again.

It'll be fine. As long as you diluted the iodophor properly to begin with and since it was just the volume of liquid in the racking tube, it shouldn't have any negative effect

Welcome to the forum:mug:

A racking cane's worth of idophor infused water isn't going to affect 5 gallons of beer. You'll be fine.

You'll be better than fine, you won't get goiters while you have that batch around :)

Yes! thanks so much for the advice! Since its only my second batch i am really looking forward to it. It's going to be a Hoppy Red Ale. :)

Back