Oops...my beer got really hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
I kegged an imperial IPA a few days ago. I added a dry hop addition to the keg in a nylon bag as I usually do. I wanted to give the beer a few days at 60 degrees to speed up the dry hop process before chilling and carbing, so I put the keg back in my fermentation freezer and set the controller to 60. Problem is I forgot to put the controller probe back in the freezer, so it sat out in the cold garage. So basically it kept the heat light in the chamber on the whole time thinking it was really cold in there. Opened the freezer this morning and steam rolled out....uh oh. Beer temp was.......130 lol. I feel like such an idiot.

Any thoughts on if this will have any major impacts? It was off the yeast so no worries there. The beer smelled fine (really nice actually). Who knows, maybe I accidentally discovered a new technique lol.

My principle concern would be staling rapidly accelerating at that temp. Might need hop it a bit more. And if there were any procedural flaws they might really show themselves (ie oxidation) but for all I know you may be just fine. Like everyone else said, chill it down and see.

Just a quick update. Pulled the hops from the keg. Beer smelled fine, but didn't taste yet. It's been chilling down at 30 psi for 2 days. Just dropped it down to 12. I'll try to give it another day or so and give it a try.

Just a quick update. Pulled the hops from the keg. Beer smelled fine, but didn't taste yet. It's been chilling down at 30 psi for 2 days. Just dropped it down to 12. I'll try to give it another day or so and give it a try.

Maybe all the alcohol evaporated out of it :p

It looks like I may have dodged a bullet. Initial taste test was very nice. I'm getting what might be a little astringency from the hops basically cooking but it hides easily behind the high ibu's this recipe has. I'll give another update in a few weeks when it has had a chance to brighten a bit.

Back