Oops, I thought that they would be as excited as I was!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to piss on that guys parade (Not really, I will enjoy it) But much of the beer HE sells ain't as good as he thinks it is. There are some good brews out there, sure. Many of them though are merely adequate, and even more of them are a damned rip off. The only thing they have in common is that they are ALL over priced.

Hoo-yah! LG called it. There are many microbreweries out there, many are in it to make good beer, but more than a few started up just because they see it as a way to make some money and cash in on the "big thing". I have had some very disappointing commercial beers, even ones that were hyped. For many "beer snobs" they automatically give something a positive review because they paid good money for it, or it came from a certain brewery. Most of these "snobs" don't know a damn thing about the beer they are drinking, how beer is made, and what an "off flavor" is.

With homebrewers, many of us have an appreciation for good beer and we know how it got to where it is. We've tasted off flavors, we've had infections, and we know when something isn't right or when it's watery, bland, etc...

I'd have to wonder where that cashier got his numbers. I have no doubt that a large percentage of homebrewers do make subpar beer, but they are the ones who are not coming to HBT to get their info and learn to fix their problems. There are quite a large number of homebrewers who are doing everything right and making some excellent beers. And by excellent I mean beers that compare with the best professional breweries in the world. Which by the way all learned at some time, just like homebrewers have to do.

It won't come right away, but it won't come at all unless you work at it. I would just put it past me. Buy your beer there if you want to. If he asks how your homebrew is coming, just smile and say it's the best beer in the world! (And what would he know, since you are not going to share any with him anyway!)

Well I'm sorry, but to be honest, I have hated most "Comercial" beer for decades. I avoided buying beer because most of it in bottles/cans etc is old/skanky and to me at least just "Bad".

As a cheap Collegian I purchased the Case for 2.99 stuff (bottle charge excluded), IC-Lite, RR, RWB, to name a few.

Then on a trip home I had a Bud from tap in a frozen mug in Kansas City Steak House Restaurant... It was fantastic... yet the Bud I could buy was "Crap".

I found a few "Micro brews" that I liked here in the PNW, but at 25 for a pitcher and not able to take it home to drink or the bottled stuff didn't compare to the "Off the tap". Well I just didn't care to "Waste" my hard earned nickle on the stuff.

After my Doc recomended I intake alcohol as a means to help my LDL/HDL (what ever) Colesterol (the good stuff) as my total Colesterol was ok but the good wasn't up where it should be, I started thinking.

I tried Wine making.... Yea FIASCO....

Then said to myself, what they hey a few more items and I could try brewing beer.

I make Beer I like to drink, Some better than others, but all in all a far better beer than what I can get in a bottle at the store. And it's "ON TAP" and at the temp I like... in the Glass I like... When I like...Where I like and with whom I like.

As for your customer service person you delt with at the store... well they shouldn't be in that job long with that kind of attitude. Then again it was probably a "State Liquire Store" and they are a "State Worker".... who can never be let go for disrespecting the citisen they are supposed to be helping.....

Ok end rant on State workers. (sorry if I have offended good people who work in that capacity)

With regards to the quality of homebrew, it can be compared to a baby. You ask ANY parent and they will quickly pipe up that their baby is/was absolutely gorgeous, plain and simple. BUT, we all know that there are some pretty damn ugly babies in this world.
Of course, all four of my little ones were really beautiful/handsome..... but there are OTHER ones that are ugly....
friends-copy-4.jpg

This is so late in the game its not funny at all, but I can't resist the urge to throw out:

"Ugly baby judges you!"

Ok, sorry...

I would have responded as follows:

"With an attitude like that it's easy to see why you're the "head" cashier at the local liquor store. Keep up the good work."

What a loser. He's probably so bitter over his own lack of initiative and ambition that he feels the need to rain on other people's parades.

I have moved on from my traumatic experience with that cashier. Your support and insight into the small universe where that jerk resides was greatly helpful. In case any of you are wondering, I havn't gone back to that store (even though I am in the process of collecting bottles! what a blast!).

My first batch ever is on the third full day of fermentation. It was bubbling furiously for the first day and a half, and now it has settled down. I have no fears or worries, due to this site and all of its wonderful members. I don't really get the whole "goat love" thing, but I am new, and I am always willing to catch up with an inside joke if someone is willing to attempt an explanation . . . ? lol.

Quick question. I am planning on moving my batch into a secondary on sunday. Is this enough time? (went into ferment. at 9pm. tues. night.)

Back to the OP, don't let that guy get you down. He might have just been having a bad day, or was just a jerk, or truly believed what he told you and didn't realize what a dream killer he was being. Whatever his motivation, keep on brewing. In my short time brewing I've made several batches that taste as good or better than the beers I was trying to clone. My batches of Stone IPA and Two Hearted (using Amarillo instead) immeidately come to mind, and I've only been at this for going on six months and <10 batchs. And I am very snobbish about my beer purchasing in general and feel like I'm holding my own beer to those same standards. They're not world changing beers, but they are just as good as the session beers I used to buy.

I still buy from my local liquor store, but now instead of dropping $20 on two six packs, I drop $20 on two nice bombers that I've never tried. If I were you, I would probably find another place to buy that train their employees on customer service. Unless you really like the place or it's a very convenient location for you. I'm pretty lazy, so I'd probably still go if it's convenient.

Anyway, screw him. And keep brewing. :mug:

Thank for the quick reply bdnoona. I see you're from Vernon Hills, IL. My fiance is from Lake Zurich. Nice area. I stole her away and she's a minnesota girl now though. heh

Quick question. I am planning on moving my batch into a secondary on sunday. Is this enough time? (went into ferment. at 9pm. tues. night.)

Don't be so quick to get the beer out of primary...If you insist on secondary leave it alone til it's been AT LEAST 10 days...but two weeks is better...many of us on here skip secondary all together and leave our beers in primary for 3 weeks to a month...Just because a beer is done fermenting doesn't mean that the yeasties are done doing the work...they like to go back and clean up the byproducts of fermentation...like Diacetyl....Your beer will be clear and crisp if you leave it alone for awhile...

This isn't coolaid making...it's a game of patience...

:mug:

So Rev, your advice is to wait 10 days - 2 weeks before moving it to secondary? I do want to use my secondary, mostly because its clear and I can see what is going on compared to my bucket! lol

So Rev, your advice is to wait 10 days - 2 weeks before moving it to secondary? I do want to use my secondary, mostly because its clear and I can see what is going on compared to my bucket! lol

Yes...if you insist on using a secondary wait at least 10 days...again, the longer you leave the beer in contact with the yeast, the better your beer will be overall...Don't shortchange your beer becasue you want it to finish...you are not in charge, the yeasties are...and after 5,000 + years, they are the experts...

Isn't there still enough yeast left in the beer to clean up after itself? Or is it really beneficial to let it sit on the cake and trub? Personally, I either wait 2 weeks to transfer or don't at all, but I'd like to know either way.

Isn't there still enough yeast left in the beer to clean up after itself? Or is it really beneficial to let it sit on the cake and trub? Personally, I either wait 2 weeks to transfer or don't at all, but I'd like to know either way.

there's about 10,000 threads about this on here...if you do some digging you will see the discussions...just search for long primary or no secondary....you'll see the discussions and have your questions answered....We don't need to re-invent the wheel in this thread...

:mug:

You mean you can't see the search button? That's really weird....

There is a search link, but it's the "Search forum with google" thing only, dont know if it's the same thing for everyone but i had heard only paying members can access the real search function, correct me if im wrong here.

If that is the case, it is kinda normal that a lot of questions are being asked constantly over and over.

I also go to other forums (like most people) and i always use the search function before asking anything, wish i could do the same in here.

hummm.... sorry for the :off: rant, my bad.

can't search? That is odd I search all the time and am not a premium member yet, the search is in the very top right in the foam of the beer mug, although now that i did it the link to the advanced search after you ran that search is gone.....

can't search? That is odd I search all the time and am not a premium member yet, the search is in the very top right in the foam of the beer mug, although now that i did it the link to the advanced search after you ran that search is gone.....

Thanks for pointing this search box for me, geeeh, i never noticed that one before... must be the home brew in me... Duh!

It does work, but it's still no advanced search, but that wasn't aimed at complaining, just pointing a fact out.

Anyways, even in forums where the advanced search function is available to all members, people still manage to come up with questions that have been asked a hundred times so it's all good. :mug:

It was my local beer store that got me into HB! They have a small HB isle and talked me into giving it a try. Needless to say, I don't by beer anywhere else. After all I do need something to drink between brews.

It's funny that one person's dumb ass opinion was able to rile up seven plus pages of posts! Dude, don't listen to that guy. Start brewing all the time, and bask in your own personal glory. I have learned soooo much in the last seven or so months since I started brewing, and my beers are getting better every time I try. Just learning about beer, or beer styles, in general has been an awesome experience. I have had more fun with this hobby than a lot of other things. I enjoy it, and THAT is what matters.

Back