oops. Commited on grains, have to juggle hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
I am after Mosher's Black Ship Pirate Stout, (Radicla Brewing, page 200).

Grain bill is 6# pale, 4# munich, 1.5# black patent; 1.5# dark molasses at start of 90 minute boil.

Hops is 5 HBU Willamette(90), 6.25 HBU Willamette (60) and 11 HBU Styrian Goldings(30).

Post boil spices are 1 ounce Coriander, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Post ferment zest of one orange soaked in vodka.

I have zest of half a grapefruit soaking in Ten Cane rum. I am doing all the spices post ferment so I can focus on just keeping it cool, then spice and monitor before straining and bottling. Planning to prime with a 750 of Cointreau.

So I got all that, only my bag of Munich malt was 2# regular Munich Base Malt, 1# Munich 60 and 1# Munich 120. So I went back and got 2 more pounds of Munich base malt. I divided the screwup 4# bag, so I am going to mash (about):

6# pale
3# Munich base
0.5# Munich 60
0.5# Munich 120
1.5# black patent

I am thinking I should bump up the (90) and even better the (60) some.

But wait, there is more.

The molasses I have is from my hunting buddy's bait stand. 82 Brix (suitable hay topper for cattle feed.), regular dark molasses is 50-55 brix.

interesting reading here: http://www.sugartech.co.za/htm/index.php

I am thinking I should back the molasses down to 1#.

To bump up the hops I have over a pound of Fuggles, Arg cascade I don't want to use I think, at least two ounces each of Amarillo, Cluster, Glacier, Nugget, Perle, Select and Tradition.

I am wanting to hang on to my Saaz, Tett and Chinook (woot! I haven't had Chinoook in the freezer in over a year) for an upcoming Firestone-Walker clone.

I am thinking ~4 HBUs at (90) and maybe 6 HBUs or so at (60). If it is overhopped I can just age it a few months; but I would like to hit kinda close so the spices stay in balance.

Whaddya think?

I went with half an ounce of 12.5% Nugget at (60). Judging by the wort tasting samples I am close enough.

I used 4# of amber LME instead of the 6# pale malt, came in at 1.081. I have a really good feeling this one will make the drop down, but it will be about 10 weeks before I know for sure.

Back