Oops 90 min boil added hops at start instead of 60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Doing a Belgian with Pilsner malt so doing a 90 min boil. Forgot and added my bittering hops at the start rather than 60. Should I just do a 60 min boil but boil it as hard as I can? Or maybe 75? Just worried it may be too bitter. .5 oz of magnum went in. Shooting for only a30 ibu beer.

Any of the options you mentioned are reasonable. Assuming you used a low alpha hop I'd boil the full 90 min. I hate dms. IBU numbers are only an estimate and there are many other factors influencing prescription. Boil away & RDWHAHB.

Given that you're only going for 30 IBUs, yeah, there's a chance the difference may be noticeable from a sensory perspective between 60 and 90 minutes using Magnum. IF you were making an IPA or something perhaps not. Trying to increase the boiloff rate is also going to increase the isomerization rate, but otherwise you're going to throw the gravity off as well, and I'm not sure if SMM to DMS breakdown and the DMS boiloff is strictly a function of time, or if wort boiloff would accomplish the same thing, so it may even not accomplish that part of the task to begin with.

I'd say let it ride as is, do your full boil, and if you find that it's to bitter you could always blend it. You may not notice the difference in the first place, and even the potential complications are less.

People eff up hop times all the time. Just roll with the punches your beer will be fine...maybe you will come up with an even better recipe..?

Most of the bittering is achieved in 60 min. If you plug it into software you're talking a difference of about 2 IBU's for a 30 IBU addition at 60 vs. 90, which if accurate would be imperceivable.
:mug:

Back