Ooops....I partial boiled.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneFeather

Reaction score
It has been awhile since I last brewed and a friend new at the hobby and I made a double batch of this.

http://byo.com/subscribe/item/2506-robust-porter-style-profile

I managed to double the ingredients and the mashing volumn, except when I brought the boil volume up after the partial and added the extract I went on cruise control and read the instructions and boiled only 5.9 gallons in my keggle.
Right now it has been nicely fermenting for two days now. As I understand it the biggest issue is the hop utilization will be low.

Would it be a good idea to dry hop to make up for some of the lost hop utilization?
If so how much should I add?
Any other suggestions?

As I understand it the biggest issue is the hop utilization will be low.

Unless you've corrected the volume before it went into the fermenter a bigger problem you're going to have is an OG way different than you intended. Based on those recipes, you're talking about 1.126. It would still make beer of course, but the process for such a big beer would need to be different. E.g. larger pitch of healthy yeast, more alcohol tolerant yeast, possibly steps to ensure the wort is more fermentable. Otherwise you might not get enough attenuation for the beer to be enjoyable - it could have a very dense mouthfeel and overly sweet.

I should have specified that to. I did correct the volume into the fermenting buckets. That is when I realize it was a partial boil.

Dry hopping only adds aroma (some flavor, they're associated).

Hop utilization refers to isomerization of the alpha acids, and that only happens during boiling. Your beer may lack some bitterness because of under utilization.

What kind of IBUs were you aiming at?
Did you add all the extract at the beginning of the boil, or half first and half at flame out?

I should have specified that to. I did correct the volume into the fermenting buckets. That is when I realize it was a partial boil.

That's good :)

Like IslandLizard said, dry hopping wouldn't fix a bitterness issue.

Before you try to correct it, taste first. It might not be as far off as an IBU prediction would suggest. If you wanted to try to correct it, you could make a hop tea and add it to the finished beer.

Back