?? Only my second batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
Kinda of wondering about my bottle conditioning ? Brew stayed in primary fermenter for days , secondary another 20 . Been in-bottle for 5 days and still clear and no-carb. Did I leave in 2ndary to long ? Not enough yeast to carbonate or.......

You didn't mention priming sugar.

Was there a reason you didn't mention it? Because after 20 days in the secondary you would need to prime it for bottle conditioning.

How many days in primary? You might've racked it too soon. But you won't get proper carbonation & conditioning in only 5 days. It takes at least 3 weeks for the average ale to carb & condition. Some longer,wheat ales maybe only 2 weeks. Patience is the brewer's most vital tool.

If you used priming sugar, then give it a couple of weeks to carb up. If not, well....

If not, sanitize the bottles and your bottle opener.

Crack open the bottles, drop a sugar cube into each 12oz (or 2 sugar cubes in a 16 or 22oz), and re-cap.

And then wait 3 weeks.

Added priming sugar to bottling bucket then racked to it. It was alot clearer then I thought it would be although clear is a good thing. I was just worried about if I could of had it in 2ndary to long. And it didn't have enough yeast to prime. My first batch partially carb in 5-7 day I couldn't wait to try my first brew. !! Haha but this is my 1st IPA. ! But glad to to hear it could take up to 2-3 weeks thanks for the good news !!!

Cheers!!!

As I recently learned with a brown ale, carbing can be finicky. Give it time. Beer *can* carb in 5 days but most people recommend waiting 3-4 weeks.

Patience Beerhopper, we noob's must all learn it. Keep the beer at room temperature ~75 deg. you'll be rewarded with carbonated goodness in 2-3 weeks.

Yep. Definitely will need about 10 more days before you see quality results.

I've made beers that were carbed in 5 days but most of mine need 2-3 weeks to reach carbonation and even then they usually taste better after 4-8 weeks in bottles at room temp and another week or 2 in the fridge.

If especially clear then it will take longer to carb. But there are likely millions and millions of active cells floating around in there. They will get the job done.

Also make sure you're keeping those bottles in a place where it's warm enough for the yeasties to do their magic. My first batch I bottled down in the cellar and left them there, in like 60-64 degree temps. After 10 days, nada -- totally flat beer. Visited LHBS; Nina advised me to bring 'em up into the heated part of the house. Badda-bing; 10 days later, yummy Red Ale.

(I'm NO expert here -- only on batch #5 at the moment. But since I hit this problem early, thought I'd mention it...and huge thanks to everyone for all the great info here on this site....)

Back