Onions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@makisupa - I quartered 2 large vidalia onions and added to the boil as soon as i finished adding the malt extract. Boil was for 60 min.

Update, my brew has been in bottle for 5 days. In case anyone is contemplating doing this, i brewed using Brewers best kit "American Pale Ale".

Had our first bottle last night, pretty interesting, taste starts off super light, then gets bold. I think the onions really helped the "body" of the beer, then the taste gets subtle again. i really really enjoy it. Again there's no onion flavor or taste, there there is a small amount it really tricks your taste buds into thinking maybe theres some tyoe of different hop in here....

I can honestly say the next batch of Rye ale i make will have the same onion treatment i gave this beer.

Plus how freakin cool is it when your friends try some, and say "damn this is so good" and you can say to them " yeah i put 2 onions in it."

Who does that? Ohh i do!

Plus how freakin cool is it when your friends try some, and say "damn this is so good" and you can say to them " yeah i put 2 onions in it."

Who does that? Ohh i do!

Awesome. At least you have that :rockin::rockin:

Glad to hear it and thanks for the insight. Onions are big part of the local history in this area. My SWMBO has wanted to brew a beer with onions for a long time. Now we know it has some potential.

Hello,

The brew is carbed, i guess now the only thing for me to say is for those of you who may have reservations about stepping out there, and trying something new, it's really a shame. You will never know pioneering, or the satisfaction of telling those willing to try something new only after they wait for your results how freaking awesome something is.

5 Onion beers in, and prolly a little offensive. CHEERS!!!

P.S. Brew onion beer and know 2 things. It's not going to smell or taste like onions, anyone you share your onion beer with is going to love it.

P.P.S. Brewing our second batch this week.

P.P.P.S. --- uhm.. Nope i covered it all nevermind.

Just an update for those interested, I brewed a second batch of those, and omitted 1/3 of an ounce of the bittering hops used in the BB american pale ale kit, as i found the first batch just a touch more bitter than my liking. The second batch is in bottle, and carbing. One of the best homebrews i've had! Cheers!

I was thinking onion today and searched read this whole thread. Has anyone else made one?

I was thinking onion today and searched read this whole thread. Has anyone else made one?

Hey there. I just saw your post. We have a wedding coming up in 5 months. We have decided to brew all the beer for our wedding. The onion beer will be our main served beer - approx 15 gallons worth.

I strongly recommend you give it a go :)

Regards,

Adam

I had an onion beer recently and he used 6 sweet onions that he roasted in the oven for 5 hours and just scrapped it all into the boil. He also added some thyme at the end. It was like cold french onion soup in a glass. I'm thinking an onion barley wine could be fun.

While this beer doesn't sound like anything I'll be doing anytime soon, I find it very interesting. Kudos to you for thinking outside the box. I'm glad it worked out for you.

I guess you never know until you try...

SwampassJ said:
Mushroom Beer and onion beer. Can we get a Philly Cheesesteak beer?

Hell, I'd drink it. That's combing 2 of my Fav things in the world. If you can throw in some sluts it would be perfection. Boom

So the onion beer is next my on my brew list. My wife inspired the onion idea so I want to brew a style she likes. She is not a hop-forward beer drinker so APA, PA, and IPAs are out. Any suggestions on other styles that might fit? She thought saison perhaps? She love tripels but I'm not sure the onion would apply there.

Dude! I too would love to have an onion beer. I just brewed a batch of beer and I'm going to try adding some onion extract to a couple of bottles directly during bottling.

Back