Onion Wine???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I have a friend who said he had some onion wine at a French restaurant years ago. I searched it on Google and found a fre recipies. It calls for 1 lb sweet onion. 1/2-1lb of potatoes, 1 lb of gold raisins. And 2 lbs of table sugar per gallon. There were also a few other ingredients which were adjuncts/yeast/campden. I was wondering if anyone has made/heard of this. He said it was good, but I am thinking the raisins would lend more to the flavor than the onions.

A long while back I made an onion wine and an onion/garlic wine. Both made great marinades, but I never tried drinking them.

I could see the onion/garlic wine working well for a marinade. It would make some killer sauce for chicken/fish also.

I have a bottle of spicy jalapeno wine at home. These types of wines are great for cooking.

The recipe you posted is a drinking wine. The sugar and raisins are going to produce a full-bodied dry white wine, and the onions will simply add a bit of onion flavor to the white.

I'm not sure about the potatoes. That seems strange to me. Perhaps to take an edge off the onions and add some sugars?

I would think this wine could be quite good sweetened, if you like the taste of sweet onions that is.

Hi!! I have gotten into wine making just last year and came across this post about onion wine. I work at a restaurant that throws away alot of onion scraps and one day took them home, made my own brew.
Through research I have found that Potatoes are actually used to make Vodka. So from there take it how you want it.
Onion wine I found is excellent for marinating chicken and pork. Not so much beef. It can be drank, but best if consumed the same day opened.

How long will onion wine stay good once opened? I want to make it for marinades, but don't want to bottle it in 750ml bottles only for it to go bad after being opened and used for one marinade.

Back