Onion Flavored Hops - Recipe Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My fiancee decided to start growing some hops for me at her workplace garden. After a couple of months of growing, she noticed that the hops were particularly "onion-y". After asking her some follow-up questions, I learned that the hops were planted very close to her onion crop, and even used the onion stalks to start their vines!

I've decided to make lemon out of lemonade, and use this onion flavor to my advantage. Initial thoughts are of using sweetness to balance out the onion spiciness. Maybe using crystal malt to create a caramelized onion flavor?

I'll keep posted as my thinking develops around this one, but I'd love to hear any ideas!

Are they still bitter? maybe add them as your first 60 min additions just to use them... shooting from the hip here.

I've found that it's very though to get bright clean flavors out of homegrown hops. Hop farmers have learned how to select just the right time for harvesting and have very exacting drying processes. Both these factors play a big role in the finished profile. After trying my hand for a few seasons, I gained a bunch of respect for their craft and decided to stick to purchasing professional grade hops. Good luck with the experiment!

Back